Windows 10 question on driver updates

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Windows 10 question on driver updates

Post by Executioner »

Do you guys turn off driver updates? I forgot that 10 is set to install them, but I remember reading that it may cause issues with certain hardware.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 question on driver updates

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Me personally I don't disable driver downloads. I've never had a problem with it yet although I know there have been a few problems. I pretty much dates back to even Windows 7.

I figure since I image my machine every week if I ever have a problem I'll just roll it back and block the update.

In general I think it's a good thing to update drivers. Something like your lan driver which could have a bug in it that can compromise your system or cause issues, and that's not something you're likely to update yourself ever.

Most of the time Windows driver updates are fine. The few times there have been an issue has usually been with video drivers from Nvidia or AMD.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

What are you using to image weekly?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Acronis True Image 2016. It's on a schedule. Once a week around 4am it images the whole boot drive to a spare internal 2TB backup drive, and I keep the last 16 weeks archived. Something goes wrong, I roll it back to the last known good image.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I stopped using Acronis after like version 2014. I've switched over to Macrium reflect.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I've been using Macrium Reflect also since it's free. I really like their interface. Acronis I also have and use it, but I'm not a fan of their interface.