Bank friendly gaming tower

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
Key Keeper

Bank friendly gaming tower

Postby Key Keeper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am

Ok, I'm totally out of the pc stream so I have no idea whats good and whats not. Sure there are all kinds of diy stuff on the web on what components to pick, but a lot of them are biased towards one brand or another and I couldn't care less on what brand logo is inside my computers.

I picked up a few ps4 games and I still hate using a controller and the graphics are just shit imo. So with that said, what socket/cpu/gpu/chipset ect would make a decent gaming rig for games like BF4/5 and the like?

I have a mid ATX case and all the peripherals so I just need the guts to build a decent tower that I can play games, and chop up some gopro footage.

CPU? Intel or AMD?
MOBO? what chipset and socket. Ive always run ASUS in the past.
GPU...wtf there are so many out there Im just lost.
PSU? I know Silverstone used to be legit but don't know if they still are
RAM? 16gb? 32? more?? Any particular speed/latency that would be best for gaming?

I know there are a lot of guys on here that game a lot and are on the up and up on whats good for the $$. I don't need bleeding edge stuff that's crazy expensive, just a good list of COMPATIBLE items that would build a solid gaming rig. Winters here and that means less enduro riding for me, plus Im still licking my wounds from the latest ejection off the bike so I need to occupy my grey matter before I go bananas. :Y

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Bank friendly gaming tower

Postby FlyingPenguin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25 am

I like using PcPer's Leaderboard as a guide. Any DIY system they recomnend they actually built, and you can be certain the components work together.

My only exception to their recommendations would be to avoid the high performance ram they usually recommend which requires you to tinker with timing to get it right, and instead just order some regular (not Ballistic performance) crucial ram from crucial.com by entering your motherboard's model into their database.

https://www.pcper.com/hwlb
“There will be plenty of time to sleep once you are dead.” - Benjamin Franklin

Executioner
Life Member

Postby Executioner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm

I'm no expert at selecting new hardware pieces for a new pc, but I usually always purchase used hardware to save money. I don't mind if the mobo is only 1 year old. My graphics card is mid range, but it has 6GB of ram on board (NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060). Plays all my slim selection of games, including DOOM 2015 with almost all the settings max out. I recently switched to a Gaming Keyboard and holly hell what a different that made. I would highly recommend a gaming keyboard.
For ram, I'm only at 8 (it's an old PC that was built about 8 years ago), but my new one has 16.

wvjohn

Postby wvjohn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Not up on the modern cpus but a few ideas.
1) take a look at top vent cases - my last builds had big fans at the top and it seems make a difference. Tou can ususally find a very good case for about $60, esp if it doen't have the friggin' LEDs.

2) What FP said about memory.

I generally buy last gen stuff. I don't need all that horsepower. Note: Ryzen might be better for video editing, don't do that myself.

3. GPU - I just got my wife a 1070 TI for about $360. Close to my 1080 which I never fully unleash because I play MMOs and have crappy rural internet that can't keep up. The the new NV part, the 2060, may be faster but only has 6 gb of ram. RTX appears to be like hairweave or whatever it was called.

4. I currently run a 4790k @ 4.4, 16 gigs of ram, and a higher end 1080 and it is honestly more than I need.

5. Loook at the gaming keyboards. There is a difference. I have a logitech G710 which has served me weel for a while.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Postby FlyingPenguin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Mid range box recommended on PCPer is usually the best option.
“There will be plenty of time to sleep once you are dead.” - Benjamin Franklin

Key Keeper

Postby Key Keeper » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try to hone down a list of items and then report back before I pull the trigger. I dont want to buy something thats low bang for the buck.

Return to “General Hardware”