Beginners Guide to Watercooling! Easy to Understand Tutorial

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Beginners Guide to Watercooling! Easy to Understand Tutorial

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I never EVER want to do water cooling unless, maybe, it's an AIO cooler, but I admit I've always been curious as to how it's done.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Beginners Guide to Watercooling! Easy to Understand Tutorial

Post by Losbot »

Finally got around to watching this.
Am I the only person who thinks he should have mounted the two radiators to the side and front, pulling outside cooler air into the case and then just have fans up top blowing hot air out?
Seems like the top radiator is just going to be hit with warmer air from within the case, across it's fins.
Thoughts?
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

He or another guy I watch mentioned that once. The traditional location for the radiator is the top. Assuming you have adequate positive pressure (modern cases have 3 fans on the front for this reason) then even the warm air in the case is still going to be cooler than the radiator.

2nd preferred location for the radiator is the front intake. Again, you're warming the air coming into the case, but it's still cooler than the internal components.

Air flow and positive pressure is really the big thing in high end case design now.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

OK. So my next case, I might just go that route. I'll just bring everything over to your place for one of those geek-out build sessions we keep talking about. :)

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Anytime man. Heck, if you want, be happy to build it for you and ship it to you, but it IS fun to put it together, once you get over the fact that dropping a screwdriver in the wrong place might trash your $250 mobo (been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!). :D

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I've built dozen or so personal PCs and a few for other people but I've never water-cooled. I'm not gonna let you have ALL the fun. I'd need to take part in the build. Then the post-build beers.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well if it involves bending tubing, I'll just watch.Only water cooling I could ever see doing is AIO, and even then I just don't see the point. A good air cooler does the job.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

True but you have to admit it does look pretty cool. LOL

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Jayz has a video coming out in the next few days, on bending GLASS tubing for a build. Crazy.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I don't think I want to try glass. I'll start with plastic first. Prob more forgiving too, compared to glass.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Glass bending (neon) is a bit easier than plastic with the right equipment... but plastic can be done with a hot air gun where as glass requires a torch. You also should use on both plastic and glass a puffer tube to keep bends from collapsing.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I had a friend who made neon signs for a living. He learned it from his dad. They were professional glass blowers and back in the early 90s, when everyone was installing neon in their cars, I would have him make custom length tubes for me that I'd install in motorcycles as a hobby. It was some great side cash after hours. Would take me about 3 hours to install and the neon + transformer was about $150. People would pay me $400 min to install a simple 4 tube setup. Anything more and it got expensive. I had one guy who wanted like 8 tubes in his bike. Easy $1k I got for the 5hrs I spent on it but I also enjoyed that side work.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »