New Desktop can't see Dell Laptop

Networking and broadband talkabout. Need help with that new router or setting up a network?
Executioner
Life Member

New Desktop can't see Dell Laptop

Post by Executioner »

This is really strange.

I have 4 machines on my network:
Garage (running windows 7)
Dell Laptop (running windows 10 1909)
Lenovo Laptop (running windows 10 1909)
MyNewDesktop (fresh install of windows 1909)

On MyNewDesktop I can see the Garage, and Lenovo machines and access files, but the Dell Laptop does not show up.
If I go to the Dell Laptop I'm able to see and access files on MyNewDesktop, Garage, and Lenovo Laptop.

I've checked all the settings and can't figure why I can't see the Dell Laptop using MyNewDesktop. In Network Sharing Center I have:
Turn on Network Discovery and Turn On Automatic setup of network connected devices
Turn on File and Print Sharing
Turn on Network Discovery
Turn on File and Print Sharing
Turn off Public Folder Sharing
Use 128 bit Encryptions
Turn off Password Protected Sharing

I even tried adding this setting in the registry but it had no affect: AllowInsecureGuestAuth with a value of 1 (I had to manually add this setting since it was not there). I also rebooted and no change to what I can see.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: New Desktop can't see Dell Laptop

Post by Losbot »

They all in the same workgroup? Same network? Very strange.
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yes, my workgroup is called HOME, and all the machines are in my house.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've seen this kind of thing with Win10. If I'm right, it's related to the SMB protocol which is what Windows uses to browse for shared folders. Win7 and earlier used SMBv1 which is now deprecated. Some early versions of Win10 continued supporting it, and would have stayed enabled when upgraded. If you upgraded from Win7 to Win10 it was usually left enabled as well for compatibility.

A fresh install of 1909 would not have it enabled. I suspect your Dell is only using SMBv1 and all the other PCs are supporting it, as well as the new version. There was an auto update for Win7 that added SMBv2 a while back which is why you can see those PCs.

I just did a quick Google and found this thread which may help, and you can also Google 'Win10 pc can't see some other pcs on network SMBv1" for more info.:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... my-network

SMBv1 was killed off because of the WannaCry malware, because it spreads as a work using that. Inside a LAN behind a router it's ok to have it on, just be aware that if somehow something inside the network got infected with WannaCry (like via a download) then it would spread to all your SMBv1 enabled PCs.

I have it enabled, for the sake of convenience, but this discussion reminds me I should turn it off.

Hope this helps.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

So, bottom line. If I'm right, then you either want to turn on SMBv1 on the new PC, or, if you want to be safe, Make sure SMBv2 is enabled on all the PCs, and SMBv1 is disabled on all of them.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

MyNewDesktop is a new build that I just put together to replace my very old desktop which was almost 10 years old. It was a fresh install of 1909 with a new mobo and components. My Dell Laptop was a fresh install of 1809 and was upgraded to 1909. The Lenovo laptop was also a fresh install of 1909.

I think for now it's not a big deal unless I need to grab something off my laptop which is in another room. I can always copy what I want on a USB thumb drive. Thanks for that llink and info. I'm going to make a copy of that for future reference.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I got it fixed. I followed these instructions:

Administrative Tools
Double Click on Services
Scroll down to Function Discovery Provider Host
Right Click on Function Discovery Provider Host
Click on Properties
Select drop down arrow on Startup Type
Select Automatic
Select Apply
Select OK
Right Click on Function Discovery Resource Publication
Click on Properties
Select drop down arrow on Startup Type
Select Automatic
Select Apply
Select OK
Reboot Computer

Mine were running but they were set to manual. I checked my other machines running 10 and all of them were set to automatic, so I have no idea why it would be set to manual on this fresh install of 1909.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ah. Interesting. Thanks for that. Here's some details on it I found: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/17/fix-p ... 3-upgrade/

I never used Homegroup - I always thought it was a dumbed-down file sharing for noobs, and sure enough MS eventually killed it off. Didn't think that would cause an interaction with normal file sharing, but I'll make a note of that in case I ever run into similar issues.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, I ran into this a while back too. I totally forgot what I ended up doing to fix it. But it was a pain.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well, I'm still having issues with it. It worked that one time and now it can't see my laptop. On my laptop, I can see my new desktop.
The only way I can see my laptop from my new desktop is to map a network drive. So I setup a Z drive for my documents, and a Y drive for my downloads. Now comes the question: what happens if you run out of network drives to map?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you can map a network drive to it, the PC IS seeing the laptop, and you don't need any mapping. You can just create shortcuts. If the share on the laptop for the Documents folder is (for example) \\LAPTOP\Documents\ just make a shortcut for that.

You could also create a shortcut to \\LAPTOP\ and that should open a window with all the shares on the laptop.

It sounds like you're trying to see the laptop in the "Network" folder, and that can be problematic sometimes. I never use the network folder - I just have a shortcut to my server's network same \\SERVER\

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Great idea. I'll create a shortcut. Thanks, but it still bothers me that my laptop can see my new desktop but my new desktop can't see the laptop. I guess I got use to the XP and Windows 7 method for sharing where i never had an issue.