Is GM in really bad shape World Wide Again ?

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Is GM in really bad shape World Wide Again ?

Post by reno »

Gm just released that there Closing Holden brand and pulling out of Australia and New Zealand. then at the same time said it will stop selling Chevrolet vehicles in Thailand by the end of this year. to top all this they are selling a manufacturing plant there to Chinese automaker Great Wall Motors.
to me this is signs that things are bleak for GM and there Bleeding Money Again . then look at all the car models they have said. being drop this year and next in North America . I believe pickup Trucks are Keep them Afloat at the moment . how many cars like there all new Blazer do you see on the road while your driving around ?
I think may 3 or 4 of the new Blazer I have seen . ( i did think of buying one as I liked the looks of it ) but it been after the first year or 2 of production.
I will never buy a first year car .
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Is GM in really bad shape World Wide Again ?

Post by Losbot »

NOOOOO!!!!!! Say it isn't so!!!!
I want my new 2021 mid-engine Corvette!!
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I was reading on Jalopnik (I think) that in a meeting with Chevrolet dealers, the dealers were asking for a small sedan to sell since they discontinued the Cruze. I think GM and Ford screwed the pooch by abandoning small cars. The Japanese and Koreans haven't and will be okay. The problem is that Detroit thought that expensive SUV's were going to be a sustainable market. I doubt those who did buy their SUV are going to buy another one within the next 5 to 10 years. Automobiles are freaking expensive now. I saw a dealer that wanted 37K for a 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium (2.3L Turbo). These prices vary wildly but do they really expect me to pay that for a 4 cyl when the GT is cheaper?

Truth be told, I'd be looking at a Hyundai if I needed to buy a new car right now. They are claiming a 600+ mile range on the new Sonata Hybrid and it uses an automatic rather than CVT.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The idiots do this all the time. They abandon small and mid size sedans when gas is cheap because the profits on the sales of SUVs and crossovers is so much higher, but people eventually come back to sedans.

If they aren't selling enough sedans I would argue it's not just less demand, it's because US car makers make crappy sedans.

There's a reason that the Honda Civic and Toyota Camry sell as well as they do.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've heard many rag on Toyota and Honda for being "soulless appliances". Maybe so but show me a domestic sedan or compact that can outlast a Camry, Accord, Corolla, or Civic. I like my Challenger and the Charger I had before it. I wouldn't buy anything else from Chrysler. The only car I'd consider from Ford is a Mustang. The only Chevy I was interested in was the Volt and they stopped making that.

There's just too many cars and not enough buyers in all markets. In my opinion, the best bet is fleet sales.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Most of the time I buy used, but in 2013 I bought my wife a new Honda CRV AWD. My recent purchase was a 2016 Subaru Outback AWD that had only 24k miles on the clock. I was considering a Ford Escape, but after reading and talking to people who owned these cars, I decided to go with the Subaru. I've always had back luck with anything GM which includes Chevy. My 2000 F150 Crew Cab was a great truck, but I sold it since I really don't need a truck now since I'm retiring soon. I got $3k for it selling it to a private party. It had 150k on the clock. It has some minor issues like the odometer would go blank, but return after several minutes. The passenger side windows would work on some days and others not.
Our Honda CRV has been perfect except for the usual maintenance items like brakes, oil changes, and tires. In my opinion, the American automakers just don't have the same quality as the Japanese or Korean automakers.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

My wife needed a new car a little over a year ago. I spent weeks researching options for her with different styles, features and capabilities. No american car maker had anything reasonable in the price range/feature set we wanted, and eventually ended up with a CRV AWD thats been great. American cars are too big, too expensive, or too cheaply made to be worth it half the time.

My MIL loves minivans, and has been buying Odysseys for the last 15 years even though she wants to buy american every year, but once we compare price/features/maintenance costs/reviews, etc ends up back in the Odyssey for a reason.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Some people do stick to one type of car. My father has always driven Ford Expeditions until this last December when he decided to buy a new Escalade. Damn, they're expensive.