key locked in ignition switch this morning !

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

key locked in ignition switch this morning !

Post by reno »

Exide battery suck 18 months old and DOA this morning . was a 3 year free replacement thank god . glad i keep the original sale receipt in the glove department. your kind of limited around my place to buy things . anyway i could turn the key but nothing happen and couldn't release the key from the ignition . im dumb founded at this point like whats going on .just drove the car yesterday not one problem starting it.
anyway did a google search and it talking about a switch under the center counsel being bad . was ready to have the car towed to a service center . thought I'd try my battery charger and see if just charging it make it give enough juice to get key out . all it did was make something keep click under the hood .so i decide to unhook the battery posts and hook the charger up . after a couple of hours the charger still read no charge on battery its a electronic car charger .2 ,4 or 6 amp and 6 or 12 volt . that told me this battery was DOA .. now i thought to look in my glove box and see if i had the sale receipt for it .found it bought in march of 2018 from tractor supply . well after 3 phone calls and calling 2 locations .told they didn't have the right battery .also was informed that they no longer sold this brand . so I pulled the battery and drove up to the local store. its about 1 1/2 miles from my house. I bring the battery in the store and a guy meets me at the entry. he and me wheel the old DOA battery to there battery rack .here it get interesting . there tons of car and truck ,tractor and lawn mower battery's there all line up with tractor supply part no's and prices .. thing is there no cross reference book to be found . so were there trying to find a battery with the thermals on the correct sides ,also with the same cold cranking amps and reserve mins as the one im returning .then to top it off the same dimensions in size .some how some way we nailed it .
then I go back to the register to do the exchange . here the girl starts by the normal asking for my phone number,and name and then my driver license and old sales slip . she then go's to scan the old battery's bar code it wont take in her computer and she tells me the items been discontinued by Tractor Supply .( like she wasn't aware of this before all this ) any way took her having to call someone to open up a 2nd register. because now there a line of people back up waiting to check out . next took her like 3 times to add this exchange of car battery and get me a sales receipt on the new battery i just pick out. the new unit also has 3 year over the counter exchange . also the unit retail price was like $40 to $50 higher then what my DOA battery sold for . just glad it didn't cost me anything out of my pocket for it . the new battery is tractor supply's brand thats all they have in the store .so who know what company making it for them .
Pugsley

Re: key locked in ignition switch this morning !

Post by Pugsley »

Did that fix the car? some times if there is an internal short you can drop it on the grass a few times and break loose whatever was shorting and get it working again for a few weeks.
reno

Post by reno »

new battery did the trick !
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

According to a few sites, Tractor Supply's Traveler is made by Exide.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Speaking of batteries, my 2005 Honda Accord battery died, because my father-in-law left 2 internal dome lights on. After putting it on the charger for 4 hours, I got the car started. Reset the time and ratio stations, but the radio did not have any sound. It would power on, but no sound coming out of the speakers. After checking fuses etc. and on line for a solution, I figured the radio finally quit working and died.
After more trouble shooting, I gave up and headed to Best Buy to get a replacement radio. Bought it, and with installation, it was $350. They needed to order the cable adapter, so it was not going to be installed now. I pay for it and head out the door. Get in the car and now the $&**#)#)#@#@@ radio works. WTF? So I head back into Best Buy to return and get a refund.
reno

Post by reno »

Losbot as long as its free replacement for 3 years im good -real dont think we keep the car that long it's a 2008 . but hope it holds up longer then the 18 months the last one did.
man that odd and kind sucks Executioner but glad you got a refund -best buy 14 day deal on returns helps me stay away best i can .
as for who making tractor supply battery -I googled it to and agree most think its exide -not one seem to be 100 percent sure who the maker is that I read . fun thing is the part numbers don't cross over to type of battery universal codes like you find on other makers as in interstate or motorcraft ,and delco brand car/truck batteries. from what I seen looking on there shelf/rack .