Jon Stewart rips lawmakers for not showing up to 9/11 responders hearing

Please keep ALL political views and comments to this forum. Let it all hang out, but try, and be somewhat civil
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Jon Stewart rips lawmakers for not showing up to 9/11 responders hearing

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Man if you haven't seen the whole 9 minute opening speech from today's hearings, it's really worth it. Jon Stewart is such a great public speaker, and it's wonderful that he's representing the 9-11 first responders.

Now to clarify, some of the congressman's seats were empty because the room is sometimes used for larger hearings. However out of the 14 committee members, only 8 attended.
Stewart’s rant came on the heels of testimony from Luis Alvarez, a retired ​NYPD ​detective who had responded to the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

“Less than 24 hours from now, I will be starting my 69th round of chemotherapy,” said Alvarez, who has liver cancer. “Yeah, you heard that correct.”

“I should not be here with you, but you made me come. You made me come because I will not stand by and watch as my friends with cancer from 9/11, like me, are valued less than anyone else because of when they get sick, they die,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez received a standing ovation after concluding his opening remarks.
https://nypost.com/2019/06/11/jon-stewa ... d-hearing/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Jon Stewart rips lawmakers for not showing up to 9/11 responders hearing

Post by Executioner »

You can bet that they will vote themselves a pay raise thanks to the fact we pay taxes. Our Congress literally needs to be started over with term limits. The entire Congress is broken. It's similar to Game of Thrones. You don't question leadership and you don’t question the status quo. Also, these fvckers work less than 200 days in a year, while the average American works a lot more hours to make ends meet. They all need to be on term limits, including having the same medical plans and relying on SS.

If these fvckers were in a company, they would all be fired.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BAM!

House panel unanimously passes 9/11 victims fund bill after Jon Stewart shaming
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEH ... id=US%3Aen
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Good to hear, but noting that the chamber was not even half full of members is a shame.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:BAM!

House panel unanimously passes 9/11 victims fund bill after Jon Stewart shaming
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEH ... id=US%3Aen
I wonder if Mitch will allow the bills to even come up for a vote.
The bill, sponsored by Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), will need to be scored by the Congressional Budget Office before it can get a full vote in the House, but is expected to pass, as the legislation has 313 bipartisan co-sponsors.

The Senate version, sponsored by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, also has bipartisan support, but it’s still short of a veto-proof majority.

The White House has yet to respond to requests for comment on whether President Trump supports the legislation.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I love Stewarts passion for this, but they have had so may showings and this bullshit is still ongoing after 18 years, because asshats keep electing shitheads that put party above all else. If you think this getting passed means it's gonna happen? you haven't been following the last 10 or so years that Stewart has been very publicly involved in this. These scumbags elected dont give 2 shits because the rest of the nation is so fucking apathetic.