Microsoft will charge up to $200 for a year’s worth of support for Windows 7

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Microsoft will charge up to $200 for a year’s worth of support for Windows 7

Post by reno »

We’ve known for a while now that Microsoft was planning to charge for the Extended Security Updates period it has granted Windows 7 users. The extension will see support for Windows 7 last until 2023 if users are prepared to pay for it. Thanks to a report from Computer World, it is now clear just how much that support will cost.

Computer World was able to get their hands on a document that laid out Microsoft’s thoughts and plans regarding the Extended Security Updates period. “We believe that the vast majority of customers who need to purchase Windows 7 ESU will need only one year of coverage… The annual price increases help cover our additional engineering costs of providing the support and are intended to incent customers to continue their momentum on Windows 10 deployments.”
https://en.softonic.com/articles/micros ... ent=Active
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Microsoft will charge up to $200 for a year’s worth of support for Windows 7

Post by Losbot »

SIGH
b-man1

Re: Microsoft will charge up to $200 for a year’s worth of support for Windows 7

Post by b-man1 »

It's expensive to keep entire teams and engineers dedicated to legacy platforms. W7 is almost 10 years old...it makes sense for enterprise customers that can't move off for $$$$$ reasons, but consumers?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah this is for corporate customers. You have a company with 10,000 Windows 7 PCs, and you can't migrate for another year, you pay the piper. They did the same thing for WinXP.

Now the question is will someone find a way to hack Windows 7 Pro to accept the extended updates. That happened with XP when someone figured out all you had to do was change one registry setting to make Windows Update think it was running on a Win XP Embedded OS. :D
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

darcy

Post by darcy »

FlyingPenguin wrote: * * *
Now the question is will someone find a way to hack Windows 7 Pro to accept the extended updates. That happened with XP when someone figured out all you had to do was change one registry setting to make Windows Update think it was running on a Win XP Embedded OS. :D
I'll wait!! :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm sure there will be a site where you can download the updates.
darcy

Post by darcy »

Executioner wrote:I'm sure there will be a site where you can download the updates.
Let's hope, Exec! :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Still running Win7 on most of my PCs. So yeah.