Anybody playing PAth of Exile ?

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
wvjohn

Anybody playing PAth of Exile ?

Post by wvjohn »

This trailer looks like Diablo2.

Article

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/08/09 ... ar_torment
Err
Life Member

Re: Anybody playing PAth of Exile ?

Post by Err »

I've heard of it but since it's online, I didn't have any interest in playing it. I won't play with randos anymore. If the game had a singleplayer, I may give it a shot.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmmm, there does seem to be a single player game. They're also saying even multiplayer the only time you interact with randoms is in towns where you can join up with others as a party. If you leave a town along, it seems you are running in your own instance in the online world.

You just want to disable global chat.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/238960/d ... 351804796/
Yes, you can play Single Player Solo all the way through Normal and the credits.

Once you finish Normal you can continue by replaying the game in Cruel and continue to build up your same character and even go all the way through Cruel Solo. My intentions at this point are not to continue past Normal, not to do any groups, not to trade or buy anything beyond what you might get or need from a vendor.

Path of Exile (PoE) is very different. It is different and harder then Torchlight by far and same with Diablo. PoE is not intuitive. _Don't_ be intimidated by the really expansive Passive Skill Tree.

I highly recommend using an easy character build like the Ranger and using something like ZiggyD's Survival Guide and his Passive Skill Tree path--what I'm using and I'm into Act 3 now...

There is plenty of strategy figuring out what to do but there is also lots of help and most suprisingly PoE has turned out to be a lot of fun. Now, if I can just finish up Act 3 Normal.

If you get hooked on the game then you've got something here you might play over and over again with other character builds and other gamers--not me. I've heard that Grinding Gear Games (GGG) is working on an Act 4 even. And trading for items needed is a really big deal too.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I downloaded it but haven't gotten around to looking at it.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Started this up to about lvl 10 - on a witch doing fireball and lightning. I'm having fun, I'd pretty much forgotten how the "flat" games played and how you have to find the stairs, etc. None of the mobs have been particularly hard so far - had to do a couple of map bosses a couple of times b/c I wasn't ready for them. Gear seems to be driopping ok.

The skill point tree is seriously huge. Right now I'm just leveling up mana and health. Be pretty easy to spend all your points on one branch of the tree, which would emcopass about 10% of what is available.

graphiocs are decent, sound is what you'd expect. Playing solo with no issue, see other players in town, etc. There are some in mapchat asking for help with bosses, mostly about selling gear.
wvjohn

Getting into this

Post by wvjohn »

I have about 10 hrs in so far and am enjoying this. It is pretty much Diablo2 with a lot of bells and whistles. For me as a casual player, it's great b/c you can go in for an hour, explore and kill zillions of monsters and learn the mechanics. So far most of the fights are pretty easy, but some of the bosses can rake a couple of tries. Game has a waypoint system like D2. There are a couple of types of special dungeon areas, only been in 1 so far.

It has an insanely complex passive skill system - 1325 possible skill nodes - an insanely leveled player will have access to about 140. https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

It has a Reddit, and tons of other stuff as you would expect. This is a pretty good overview. https://sites.google.com/view/thetwilightstrand/home

If you have played any RPGs or MMOs you can make your way around the maps, it is pretty intuitive.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I'm really enjoying this and spending far too much time in it right now. They really a new new set of dungeons every 3 months, and your existing character and loot drops into "standard mode" and you basically have to start a new character from scratch to progress through the new added content. Similar to D2, but lots more content. The economy is driven by ingame player trades and various jewels are used as currency. You get fractions of jewels from th esale of loot to NPCs and jewels also drop in higher levels. There are massive add on trading databases for all the loot, then you look for what you want and try and find a player who is online who has what you want and then trade. There is a brisk aftermarket in jewels and leet items.

The newest chapter Delve, has an infinite dungeon, which I have been really enjoying. You find deposits of sulphite in standard maps, summon and NPC to mine them, and when you get enough to power the crawler, you can start going into the mine. The crawler provides light in the mine, which is good, b/c without light you die in less than 5 seconds. There are all kinds of areas adjacent to the mine shafts that contain loot, but you have to use flares and dynamite to get to them, and the crawler does not wait for you. If you run out of flares, you die. Some dude got to level 320 in the mine last night.