No Drivers found???

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FanTum
Golden Member

No Drivers found???

Post by FanTum »

I recently upgraded my mother board to an ASUS A7A266, and my processor to an AMD 1ghz.

When I try to install the drivers for the Ali PCI to USB Open Host controller (USB Ports), and it asks for the WIN 98 SE disk it can't find the files needed.

Need some help here or suggestions PLZ!

Also DMA get's installed twice????
"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong!"
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Those drivers are too recent to be on the 98 CD (that chipset didn't even exist back then).

You should have a driver CD that came with the mobo - it should contain the PCI Bridge/AGP driver and an EIDE driver.

Read the instuctions on the CD - usually you have to run and installation program to install the drivers, then remove any drivers for those devices that Windows may have installed and reboot to allow Windows to redetect the devices and install the new drivers.

Although sometimes they want you to just browse to the folder containing the drivers on the CD from within the driver wizard. There should be a readme file on the CD explaining it.

I'd recommend downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's web site eventually, though, as the ones on the CD are probably outdated.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FanTum
Golden Member

Post by FanTum »

Thanx! I'll give it a try!
FanTum
Golden Member

Post by FanTum »

Nutz!!!!

I still can't get them to install. Even with everything installed from the ASUS disk.

It is lookin' for a file called "openhci.sys".

And of course it's not on the WIN98 SE disk.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Do a file search on the Asus CD for the file, also search your /Windows/System folder for it (the Asus installer may have put it there).

Windows is sometime retarded about installing drivers. It may TELL you it wants the Win98 CD for a file, but it really may need you to just direct it to the folder with the manufactuer's driver. Happens often.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FanTum
Golden Member

Post by FanTum »

UGH!!!

CAn't find them anywhere on my Hard drive or ASUS CD!!!!

And there are no updates available yet!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm, I'm at a total loss.

Try going to the motherboard manufacturer's web site, and see if there's an updated driver. Also see if there's a FAQ that covers this - might be a bug. All I can think of.