Windows Registration Number?

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Mike89

Post by Mike89 »

My sister in law has a computer she bought with Windows 98 pre installed. No Windows CD came with her computer. She is having problems and may need to completely format and install 98 again. Problem is there is no Windows CD. I can use mine to install it but don't want to use my Windows key when it asks for it. So here is my question. Seems there should be somewhere in Windows where her product key is listed but I can't find it. If I can find it, I can copy the product key down and then enter it again when Windows asks for it in the install process. Anyone know where it is in Windows?
NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

You should have gotten a Win98 booklet with the COA glued on the front cover. This is a picture of the book that came with my HP comp. I edited the CD key out. :)

MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

Search in the registry for "ProductID".

It should be under... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId
MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

If you have problems finding it or it doen't work LMK. ;)
Mike89

Post by Mike89 »

I just looked and there is no productid in that string you listed in the registry. Dam, I know it has to be listed in Windows somewhere.
MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

What version of Windows 98 do you have? OEM, upgrade, full, SE..??
Mike89

Post by Mike89 »

I have the Windows 98 disk that came with my computer. My sister in law has a Windows "Recovery Disk" that came with her Emachines computer. If I have to completely format her HDD, I would use my disk but I would need her Windows product key number.
Mike
Goober Member

Post by Mike »

Her distro of WIN98 may be in c:\windows\options\cabs. If you run regedit, do a find for ProductID. -mk
If it aint broke, fix it till it is.