Windows 10 20H2 screwed up my desktop

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Windows 10 20H2 screwed up my desktop

Post by Executioner »

I'm using 1909 version which works perfectly. Not one single issue on this Asus board. I updated my Dell laptop to 20H2 as it was also using 1909. Works fine. I then decided to update my desktop. After a reboot, everything seem to work just fine except the PC would not go to sleep. Each morning as I came into my office area, the PC was on and the only item that was asleep was the monitor. I tried to restore the defaults for power options, but that had no affect the next day. Only the monitor would be in sleep mode.

So today I decided to see maybe if it was a driver issue. I currently have driver updates turned off. I saw a few and one was a USB3: ASMedia. So I updated it. I then had to reboot, and my keyboard no longer works. It's a USB keyboard. I tried to plug it in another USB slot in the back but that did not work. I looked in Device Manager and saw the exclamation point for the ASMedia. I manually downloaded drivers for it but nothing would work from MS Catalog. I did not even have the option to roll back the driver.

So out comes Macrium Reflect to the rescue. I just made an image on 3/1/2021. I had a new Samsung EVO 500GB SSD that I restored the image on. My original Samsung EVO was only a 250GB. No issues restoring the drive. Took about 10 minutes. I then had to manually resize the disk to see the rest of the drive. So now I'm back to 1909. I currently have the option set to 365 for major updates.

Have you guys heard issues with 20H2?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 20H2 screwed up my desktop

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think I had the same board (did sell it to you?). It has a single USB 3.1 port on the back that uses an ASMedia driver. Thing gave me endless problems similar to what you describe. Generic MS driver wouldn't work, and you had to find the right factory driver. I ended up disabling it.

I'm on 1909 with all my PCs, even my new Surface Pro 7, and that's where I'm staying until end of support

I haven't heard anything terribly bad about 20H2. Holding off until later in the year. If you're running Pro, you may find that if you use the registry hack to prevent an auto upgrade, you will likely continue getting security updates past the May 2021 published end of support for 1909. MS tends to quietly continue security updates for 'frozen' PCs for the benefit of Enterprise users. When you pass a patch Tuesday week with no security updates, then you know it's over.

As for sleep, I never use it. It's unreliably implemented in desktops, except for OEM manufacturers who take a lot of trouble to tune their drivers, and even they screw up. Honestly, modern CPUs go into a very low power use mode when idle, so it's not like you're saving a lot of power by sleeping. If that's an older mobo, as I suspect, there just may not be a good power driver for it in the latest build. After 1909 I believe they made some changes to the driver model.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I have an Asus Z170-K mobo. The sleep function was working perfectly. It was on by default when I installed 1909. I thought something was wrong when I came into the office the following day after the fresh install to discover a blinking PC light, but I touched the keyboard and it came back. I have the power options set to turn off the display after 1 hour, and the HD's after 4 hours. I do have 1 spinner in the system, and the other 2 drives are SSD.

As for the board, NO you did not sell it to me so your in luck LOL ;)

Before I'm force to do another major update, I'll make another image just in case. I was lucky I had that one on 3/1/21. I normally make a copy every month.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I don't recommend Sleepmode for desktops, especially Windows 10. Manufacturers pretty much only focus on laptops/tablets when it comes to sleepmode support.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

So leave it running all the time except maybe for the monitor? In my BIOS, there is an option to turn on the mobo with a press of a keyboard key.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:So leave it running all the time except maybe for the monitor? In my BIOS, there is an option to turn on the mobo with a press of a keyboard key.
Turning off monitors is the only thing I have it turn off after like 10-15 mins
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yup. I leave everything running except monitors. Modern stuff really does throttle down to a very low power mode when not in use.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "