Emergency Oct Windows Patch for TCP/IP Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Emergency Oct Windows Patch for TCP/IP Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's bad, 'nkay?

Right now it only causes a BSOD but experts expect this to be a workable attack in short order.

Absolutely, without doubt, if you have a Windows server or PC directly exposed to the Internet, patch now.

Those of us, like most home users, behind routers, should still patch, because this attack could be used inside your LAN. For example, some other method (email, malicious download, etc) could be used to compromise one machine on your network that then uses this new exploit to attack every other Windows PC on your network.

For those, like me, who don't like to stay totally up to date with updates because we don't like to be beta testers, you can download this patch by itself, although it is also included in the October automatic updates.

Download here:
https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US ... 2020-16898
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Emergency Oct Windows Patch for TCP/IP Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I checked, and that link just gives you the entire October update, not the patch for this problem by itself, sadly.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Emergency Oct Windows Patch for TCP/IP Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

Post by Losbot »

Yeah, I saw that too. That blows.
------------------------------------------