Need recommendation - RAM Diags

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Losbot
Almighty Member

Need recommendation - RAM Diags

Post by Losbot »

What would you guys recommend for testing/diagnosing RAM?
Looking for an ISO I can boot and test the shit out of my ESXi host's RAM. I suspect there might be something funky there.

-Los
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Need recommendation - RAM Diags

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The new MEMTEST86 is back from the dead and available from Passmark. It supports UEFI and DDR4. It also has a graphical mouse interface now.

https://www.memtest86.com/
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Great program. I've used it several times to determine which stick of ram was an issue. Suggestion would be to test 1 stick at a time.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Cool. Hadn't realized it was still around. I thought it went the way of the Dodo.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, I haven't tried the new one. So I downloaded it and installed it on a couple of different flash drives that I know work as bootable drives with other products, but I can't get it to boot MEMTEST86.

Anyone had any luck?

Now I'm not running UEFI, but if anything that should make it even easier. I'm beginning to wonder if it REQUIRES UEFI. Only thing I have that has UEFI running is my Surface Pro 3 (it's almost impossible to run that tablet without it) so I may try it on that.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yup, boots fine on my Surface Pro 3. Strange. I don't feel like enabling UEFI just for a ram test. I'll have to check their support forum.

----------------
Yup, confirmed. The v8 version must run under UEFI:
You need to have UEFI bios enabled and use UEFI boot to run the usb drive otherwise it won't work. Memtest86 v8 can no longer can boot from legacy bios.
For older mobos that don't support UEFI, you can download the old v4 version from the download page:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

I suppose the old one will work fine, except that I'm reading that it doesn't support DDR4. I'm guessing that means it will still test the memory (after all, all it's doing is loading patterns into RAM and reading them), but won't recognize it's make, timing, clock speed, etc.

--------------

Yeah, I booted an old v4.3 version I already had and it still runs on my DDR4 gaming PC. Just no timing info, just the RAM clock frequency.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I got it to run and it reported a lot of errors.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Losbot wrote:I got it to run and it reported a lot of errors.
On one stick?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote:
Losbot wrote:I got it to run and it reported a lot of errors.
On one stick?
I'm not sure. I have 4 x 16GB sticks. I pulled out 2 of the 4 and got no errors but my server still froze up, running on the remaining two. I've got new RAM arriving tomorrow. I'll try that out and then see if I can RMA the bad sticks.