I have had it with Win 10

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Pugsley

I have had it with Win 10

Post by Pugsley »

I am so sick of the BS with this OS. I PAID for it and it is impossible to get it to do basic stuff.

I bought it for my jukebox and have it all set up and working fine with 2 monitors and 1 is a touch screen and it was all working great the last 3 times i used it. today I start it up to use it and it did an update and now the monitors are all messed up. One is the ELO touch in the jukebox and 2 is the HDMI out that feeds the TVs and audio. Well now the monitors have some how reversed and 1 is the HDMI and 2 is the ELO and I cant get it to calibrate and the jukebox software is all confused too and displaying stuff on the wrong monitors. I have been tryting to fix this for 6 hours and now Im so pissed off Im thnking of PIRATING windows 7 to put on it so it just works.

:mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad

Sorry for ranting. I just cant understand windows any more with the shit that it does. Hell this PC is still 7 and have had no issues fore YEARS!
Executioner
Life Member

Re: I have had it with Win 10

Post by Executioner »

I've been lucky and haven't had any issues in any of my systems. Win 10 does allow you to roll back drivers, and option to block driver updates. The driver update block is one of the first things I did. Are you running the Pro version of 10?
But yea, Windows 7 was great - always worked with no issues. In fact, I still have one system on 7 which I will not update. It has Malwarebytes and ESET internet security. It's mainly used for burning CD's, DVD's, video conversions, etc., and it's also on the PCA hub. Hope you can sort it out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Have you tried rolling back to the System Restore point before the update?

First off you need to block driver updates through Windows Update. This has been a problem since XP but Win10 is a lot more aggressive about replacing drivers with generic ones. Except for my Surface 2-in-1, I don't allow any of my PCs to update drivers.
http://woshub.com/how-to-turn-off-autom ... indows-10/

This might require Win10 Pro, but as I've said many times Pro is worth it to have control of your updates. You can upgrade Home to Pro for $100 through the Microsoft store.

You can roll back any of the drivers that were installed by the update:
https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to ... windows-10

Consider configuring Windows Update for manual installs only. That way you don't get a surprise update at a bad time. That's what I do. I have mine set to notify, but not download or install without my express approval (it's a registry hack). I usually keep my PCs two or three months behind on security updates unless there's a serious one, and I run all my PCs under a limited user, so security updates aren't all that important.

If this PC is just for use as a Juke box and you're not going to be doing casual browsing with it, you can just block updates entirely, or yeah, go to Win7 since security won't be an issue.

BTW: If you need a Win7 license, let me know. I think I have some keys I've never used. May even have a couple of retail copies. Safer than a pirated version.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Right click the desktop and open Display settings. You may simply need to reconfigure which monitor is the main display.

FYI, these issues can happen with video driver updates as well as if you unplug the video cables and plug them back in, sometimes it can cause the monitors to register in a different order. It can also happen on Windows 7.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

So after giving up yesterday I start it up today and it did updates again... and like magic it was back to normal. I had to recalibrate the touch screen but after that it just worked like it should. The juke software was sending audio and video where it belonged... So I have no clue WTF went on.