Blocking selected Windows Updates using the Show or Hide Updates Tool

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Blocking selected Windows Updates using the Show or Hide Updates Tool

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Tool download link on this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -in-window

Look for the "Download the Troubleshooter from The Microsoft Download Center" link near the bottom of the page.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Blocking selected Windows Updates using the Show or Hide Updates Tool

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW this also blocks the twice a year feature updates.

I had Build 1903 in my update queue (I'm still on the now deprecated 1803 build), which is why I haven't installed the June security patches because that would come along with them (although I'm fairly sure that it would ask me before installing 1903). I don't know why it wasn't offering a newer feature update like 1909 or 2004, but who knows? I'll install a newer build manually when I feel like it - probably 1909 at this point. The last security updates for 1803 were in June (which I'm trying to get now) and I can put off upgrading for a while. This PC is well locked down.

Anyway I used that tool to hide the 1903 build feature update, and some other crap I didn't want like a Silverlight update.

NOTE: It took 24 hours for the hidden updates to clear off the update list. My PC checks for new updates every day around 3:30pm, and after that time today the updates I chose to hide were gone. I couldn't force a refresh because I didn't have that option.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "