Windows 7 x64 required updates bundle download link

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 7 x64 required updates bundle download link

Post by FlyingPenguin »

For those of us who still need to occasionally setup a new Win7 PC (like, in my case, I still use Windows Media Center on my TVs) there's some must-install updates that get the OS as secure as possible, and install some features that were added to Win7 later.

These updates may get harder to find because Microsoft is going to deprecate any installer downloads that use SHA-1 code signing. The problem is that SHA-2 was only added to Windows 7 last year, and no one seems to know if MS will continue to make the SHA-2 Support Patch available with SHA-1 code signing. Without the patch, a Win7 machine can't easily install SHA-2 signed apps.

I've always kept, what I consider, the must-install updates for Win7 on my toolkit flash drive. I just added the SHA-2 support patch to it. I've zipped them all up and posted them on my server if anyone wants to grab them.

Included are:
- Win7 Service Pack 1
- Windows Update Agent Update (yeah, I know, no more updates, but it allows Win7 to pull drivers via the newer Windows Update, and MS Office updates)
- April 2015 Service Stack Update (pre-requisite for SP1 Convenience Rollup)
- SP1 Convenience Rollup May 2017 (final big security rollup patch for Win7 that installs all previous security updates)
- July 2016 update Rollup
- SHA-2 Support Update
- Intel USB 3.0 Driver (adds USB 3.0 support) NOTE: If your PC ONLY has USB 3.0 ports, you're going to need to slipstream this driver into your Win7 installer, or your mouse and keyboard won't work. You can find instructions on the Intertoobs.

NOTE: Some of these need to be installed in the order. Needless to say, Service Pack 1 should be first, unless your Win7 installer includes it. The Service Stack Update needs to be installed before the Rollups.

While there's some 32-bit files in there, it's mostly x64. There's really no good reason to install Win7 32bit.

I got all of these directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Download here (1.81 GB): https://soldcentralfl.com/bob/Win7/Wind ... rchive.zip
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 7 x64 required updates bundle download link

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW: Does anyone have a Win7 installer ISO (Dell OEM or Retail, Pro or Home) that has the USB 3.0 installer slipstreamed in to it? I haven't had any need for it yet, so I've never bothered making one, but it'd be nice to have.

You need this if you try to install Win7 on a PC that doesn't have USB 2.0 ports, otherwise it won't recognize your mouse and keyboard.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I've been getting my updates from here: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2 ... 7-and-8-1/

I've downloaded all those on my shares in the Hub for the x64 version only. The last update was in January 2020. They also have the Windows 8.1 updates.

When did the USB 3 driver roll out?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

USB 3.0 came out in 2010, but it took a while for it to go into wide spread use. Heck even today you still see a mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on a lot of mobos and OEM systems.

Win7 came out in 2009 and never had USB 3.0 baked in. It was always an optional driver, only needed if you had 3.0 ports, but you usually also had at least a couple of 2.0 ports.

Heck the only PC I have with no USB 2.0 ports is that little Intel NUC I just bought.

The driver I included is from Intel, which supposedly works with most onboard USB 3.0, and I just downloaded the latest one from the Intel website this month.