Clean WIndows 10 media creation?

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Clean WIndows 10 media creation?

Post by Genom »

Since I am getting a new MB/CPU and my current OS install is kind of bloated I plan on doing a fresh install. I recall there was a website/utility for creating a custom installer with drivers and removed bloatware, but cant remember what it was. If anybody has the info handy, it would be most appreciated.

I figure if I get started now downloading everything, I shouldn't be missing much next week once the hardware gets here.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Clean WIndows 10 media creation?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I personally use a stock Win10 installer (I would recommend build 1909 at this point as they're still working out issues with 2004.

You can find lot's of PowerShell scripts to uninstall the baked in Windows apps if you don't want them, but I never bother. I also use OpenShell instead of the default Start menu, which hides the apps in a sub folder, and bypasses Cortana.

My rule is to install Win10 while disconnected from the Internet. That forces the installer to configure it as a local user, disables most of the phone-home crap, and only installs minimal drivers. Then I manually install my mobo, sound and vid drivers, usually opting out of any of the mobo's background utilities (I want as clean a system as possible).

I just updated my 'Win10 Clean Install' checklist:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60774&p=358908#p358908
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

That's usually the process I run through (install offline, openshell, no extras other than drivers for hardware). I just could have sworn there was a website that had a tool that let you pre-bake a script for a custom install that allowed to bypass the crap you didnt want entirely.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Is it this one that I mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63514&p=368212#p368212
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

That might be it, thanks!