I'm done with Acronis

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
normalicy

Re: I'm done with Acronis

Post by normalicy »

I got burned several years ago by Acronis because they suddenly stopped backing up hidden files. Well, I was backing up my App Data which is hidden. I lost so much when I finally had a C drive cash.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Full image or data backup? Because a full image would definitely have included the AppData folder.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Just a data backup. Didn't want to waste space on the Windows install.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I'm setting up a new laptop for a friend and once I finished setting everything up I wanted to image it. However my Acronis 2016 boot USB wouldn't boot on it. Must be some incompatibility with the newer UEFI Bios. Up to now I've had not problem with it, even on my Microsoft Surface.

So I pulled out my Macrium Reflect boot USB, and no problem booting from that, and I imaged it.

I guess that's pretty much the end of Acronis for me. No way I'm going to pay for a newer version. I bought a Macrium license for my gaming PC and I'll probably switch to Macrium on my workstation sooner or later.

I really only keep using Acronis out of laziness and inertia. Macrium is MUCH faster. It takes about half the time to image a drive compared to Acronis.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The best part of Macrium: their interface does not change with updates, and they are prompt updating the software.