Microsoft: If you're on Windows 10 version 1803, you'll be automatically upgraded

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Losbot
Almighty Member

Microsoft: If you're on Windows 10 version 1803, you'll be automatically upgraded

Post by Losbot »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... -upgraded/
With support for Windows 10 1803 now ended for Home and Pro, Microsoft says it will automatically update anyone on those editions to a new version. But users will have the ability to choose when that move will occur.

The company doesn't say which version of Windows 10 it will bump users up to but for the past few months it has been pushing users to install the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, or version 1903.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Microsoft: If you're on Windows 10 version 1803, you'll be automatically upgraded

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Keep in mind that if you use group policy to block feature upgrades, it won't upgrade you unless you manually initiate it.

When you do upgrade, I would recommend manually installing the stable 1903 yourself and avoiding the latest not fully tested 1909.

1903 is rock solid. I updated my surface and laptop to it slready. I'll upgrade my workstation and gaming PCs (both on 1803) to 1903 later this month.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Microsoft: If you're on Windows 10 version 1803, you'll be automatically upgraded

Post by Losbot »

Can you just run unzip the ISO and run it or do you need to boot from it?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

For an upgrade, it's better if you just run setup.exe on the install media from Windows. That way the installer can properly assess the existing install.

For a clean install, I do recommend booting from the media.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

+1 on the 1903 stability. I've done about 20+ in-place upgrades and a handful of fresh 1903's and haven't had a single issue.