Windows 10’s latest update reportedly causes Blue Screen of Death issues

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 10’s latest update reportedly causes Blue Screen of Death issues

Post by FlyingPenguin »

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows- ... ath-issues

There are reports This update is causing BSODs and failures to boot as well as the previously reported start menu issues.

As usual, I recommend delaying the install of security/service updates for 30 days or more. This is easily done with Windows 10 Pro, but there's ways to do it in Home as well.

Here's a concise tutorial listing several methods for deferring updates:
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to ... -10-update

I actually use the Group Policy method to force Win10 Pro to notify, but not download or install any updates unless I manually trigger it. Additionally I have security updates referred 30 days so they aren't offered until the following month, and I have feature updates (the semi annual builds) deferred for a year.

I don't worry about delaying security updates because I'm a limited user on all my PCs. Not logging in as an admin protects you against most exploits except privilege escalations.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Windows 10’s latest update reportedly causes Blue Screen of Death issues

Post by Executioner »

I always select delay, but the delay switch returns to active state after an update, which means you have to remember to back in and turn it back on.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That sound like the 'pause' switch. If you have Pro you can permanently opt to have all updates delayed one month. Feature upgrades delayed one year.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yes I have the pro version with Pause updates. Currently it's enabled.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yes but you using the pause switch or the "Choose when updates are installed". The pause is temporary, the latter two are perpetual and never get reset.

Set the first to "Semi-Annual Channel" which buts you on an annual instead of a bi-annual upgrade track.

Set the second to 365 days to delay feature updates one year (this in combination with the one above defers feature updates for 1.5 years).

Set the third to 30 days to delay security updates for a month.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The first one is set for 365 days, and the last one is set for 30 days on the Semi-Annual Channel.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yup that's it.