Microsoft Issues Warning For 800M Windows 10 Users

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Microsoft Issues Warning For 800M Windows 10 Users

Post by Executioner »

What Microsoft confirms it did was quietly switch off Registry backups in Windows 10 eight months ago, despite giving users the impression this crucial safeguarding system was still working. As Ghacks spotted at the time, Registry backups would show “The operation completed successfully", despite no backup file being created.
LOL - I've used that feature before with 7 in an emergency and it works fine. I looked at mine in the system folder, and just like the link, they are all 0 byes in length. This started with 1803.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 1210ef71ef

So to fix it, you have to run REGEDIT
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... lder-start
Pugsley

Re: Microsoft Issues Warning For 800M Windows 10 Users

Post by Pugsley »

You know with all the bull shit lately from MS you would think some startup would make a new OS or IT departments would file a class action against them.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've never totally trusted this. I make my own registry backups using ERUNT on a regular basis, and I image my whole boot drive every couple of weeks.

I also always do an ERUNT on any client's PC I work on. It's saved me a lot of trouble many times. I've salvaged systems where the Windows registry backup was corrupted with some tough to remove malware, so I'd restore from some older ERUNT backup I'd made on a previous visit.

Oh and they'll tell you ERUNT doesn't work with Win 8 or Win 10, but it works fine.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I forgot about ERUNT. I think I used to use it for XP. Since it works for 10, I'll use it instead.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You need to run it as administrator or you'll get an error, but you can set that in the compatibility tab in the shortcut.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I set it as admin, but there was an error when creating the backup when I selected "other open users registry". I deleted that backup and tried it again without that box ticked, and it worked with no errors. While searching, this site has a never version: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downlo ... ry-backup/

Says it works with 10.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sometimes I get an error the first time it runs and sometimes you have to reboot then it's fine.

I'll check out the new version. Honestly it's a very simple thing to do all you're doing is copying the five hive files you can do with a batch file.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ok, I like that new backup program. It supports a more reliable backup procedure than what ERUNT used.

I like that there's a portable version. I configured it only to backup the registry. I don't need all the AppData and other folders backed up, but it's nice that there's that option. Also nice that there's a scheduler if you use the installed version.

Thanks. Nice find.