Asus Live Update Pushed Malware to 1 Million PCs

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
psypher
Golden Member

Asus Live Update Pushed Malware to 1 Million PCs

Post by psypher »

The attack, dubbed ShadowHammer, affected many thousands of computers, but it was a highly targeted attack. Kaspersky became aware of the scheme in January when it updated its scanning tools with supply-chain detection technology. A supply-chain attack involves bundling malware with systems when they are manufactured, sold, or via vendor update systems. ShadowHammer went undetected for so long because it didn’t have any immediate effect on most of the infected systems. The attackers were looking for about 600 very specific machines.
Kaspersky believes those behind ShadowHammer also perpetrated the CCleaner attack 2017. That malware campaign also targeted Asus and could be how the attackers gained access to the Asus servers. Kaspersky will publish a full report on the malware soon, but there’s a summary post already available. Researchers have also put up a page where you can input your MAC address to see if it was on the target list. Kaspersky’s security tools will now detect and remove ShadowHammer as well.
https://www.extremetech.com/internet/28 ... nds-of-pcs
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Asus Live Update Pushed Malware to 1 Million PCs

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Which us just one of many reasons why I either remove the manufacturer updating software, or better yet, do a clean install.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Asus Live Update Pushed Malware to 1 Million PCs

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Asus just patched the ShadowHammer malware that was masquerading as a security update
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/26/1828 ... ity-update
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "