Windows 10 - Daughter's Laptop Rant

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Err
Life Member

Windows 10 - Daughter's Laptop Rant

Post by Err »

I got fed up with my daughter's windows 10 laptop not being able to install the anniversary update. This wouldn't be a huge issue but it keeps trying to install it. I plugged her hard drive into my computer and my computer decided it was the main drive and tried to boot to it. I couldn't even see my other drives in my bios. I unplugged it and booted up my computer. I plugged her drive into my hot-swap location and copied her steam folder and profile. Then I put her hard drive back in her laptop and proceed to install Window 10 Anniversary. After everything installed, I proceeded to reinstall Chrome, Firefox, Steam, etc. . . Everything at this point went fine. Next I shut down and plug her hard drive back into my computer to copy her files back over. This took a while. Upon placing the drive back into her computer, I find that I can't access these files. When I select a folder in her steam folder, windows says it's not available. All of her videos, music, and pics are just not there. However, I can see that the hard drive space is being used. I also notice the a user folder with the name default0 has been created but no matter what I try, windows won't allow me to access it. I can't find anything about this on the internet. The only thing I know to do is reinstall windows (again) and copy the files over the network. This is ridiculous and I really hate Microsoft right now.
Last edited by Err on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 - Daughter's Lapop Rant

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Probably a folder permission issue. This started with Win7. You can't just copy the folders from a user's personal folder from the old PC - Windows will detect that it doesn't belong to the current user and block it. Those folders are treated as special folders. Your situation sounds different unless it's specific to Win10. Usually when this happens to me, I can see the folders but can't open them without "taking ownership" via the security tab.

Instead of copying the personal (profile) folders I ALWAYS copy the CONTENTS of those folders into temp folders on a portable hard drive, then I copy the CONTENTS of those folders to the local PC's personal (profile) folders.

What's puzzling is that this should NOT have affected the STEAM folder so I'm a little puzzled by that. The Steam folder is nothing special, but it's possible that because you copied a Win10 folder with newer permission structures, your desktop PC didn't handle it right. Starting with Win8 root and program file folders DO have some special permissions designed to prevent malware from doing anything without administrative rights. Again that's why I never copy the WHOLE folder, I always copy the CONTENTS of the folder.

Can you read all her old files from YOUR computer? If so I would just copy them (their contents) to folders on a portable USB drive to break any goofy folder permission issues, or share those files from your PC over the network and copy them that way.

Test it with just the documents folder first to see if it works, so you don't waste a lot of time on it.

These goofy folder permissions is one reason I still keep a WinXP x64 PC on my workbench. XP completely ignores Win7 and later folder permissions. I use it to backup files from client's unbootable drives. I use XP x64 because it can read Win8 and Win10's GPT partitions.

Hope this helps.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 - Daughter's Lapop Rant

Post by Err »

Thanks FP. I can successfully copy files over the network. I've copied her profile contents over and restarted with them still being there when I logged in.

However, for some reason her start menu wont open. I swear it's been one issue after another with this thing. I've search and found nothing useful. Once suggestion said run SFC and anther said to reinstall windows. I'm not doing the later. I'll put a bullet in this laptop before I reinstall windows for a third time today.
Err
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 - Daughter's Laptop Rant

Post by Err »

Screw it. I installed Classic Shell. Microsoft Edge immediately closes when you open it too. The start menu not opening and edge issues are probably related but I'm sick to working on this BS.
EvilHorace
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 - Daughter's Laptop Rant

Post by EvilHorace »

I feel your pain with MS right now too but I'm no fan of Mac stuff either (besides my trusty ipod touches for music).