Today is last chance for free Win10 upgrade

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Today is last chance for free Win10 upgrade

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Assuming Microsoft doesn't end up extending it, today ( 7/29/16) is your last chance.

I'm upgrading a couple of charity Win7 PCs I have in the garage just in case. Everything else I ever want Win10 on has already been upgraded or at least licensed (upgraded and then reverted).

Remember, even if you don't want Win10, but you think you MIGHT want it in the future on a particular PC, upgrading it today locks you in for a lifetime license on that device (baring major hardware changes like a new mobo maybe). You can roll it back to the original OS after Win10 is activated using either the built-in OS restore feature or if you make an image of the drive first.

There is no key. Once you upgrade and it shows in the Windows info page that it's activated, your PC is fingerprinted and stored in an MS database and it's licensed for Win10 forever. Later on you can either upgrade or do a clean install, and it will self-activate when it touches the activation server.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Today is last chance for free Win10 upgrade

Post by Executioner »

I decided not to upgrade my main desktop. I still don't like 10. I do have a spare laptop that I put 10 on to play around with, and I did upgrade my laptop that I use, but I put it back on 7 after a couple of days. That was last year so that one is finger printed.
EvilHorace
Life Member

Re: Today is last chance for free Win10 upgrade

Post by EvilHorace »

Same here. Staying with Win7 for as long as possible. Still not liking Win10 on my kitchen laptop that ran perfectly with Win8.1 but now, not so much. I might even put Win7 in that as well.