Creepy? Facebook is now tracking you in stores

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Creepy? Facebook is now tracking you in stores

Post by reno »

If you are on Facebook, you're aware that the site knows a lot about you, your friends and your interests.

But now it's also keeping tabs of where you are. And this new Facebook feature has been labeled "scary" by some privacy advocates.

Stores Could Know if You Are Browsing There

We're now entering a world that was predicted so eerily in the 2002 Tom Cruise movie, Minority Report. In it, Cruise walks into stores and is instantly recognized and targeted.
http://www.wxyz.com/money/consumer/dont ... -in-stores
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Creepy? Facebook is now tracking you in stores

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well, Facebook has always been pretty up front about the fact that they harvest a ton of information from you in exchange for the service they provide, which is why I don't use Facebook.

On the flip side, how many people think about the fact that their credit card company knows everywhere they've been shopping?

And now there's people running around chasing Pokemon while the app send all the geo location data to who knows where.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

your so right FP .
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Even off cliffs!
EvilHorace
Life Member

Post by EvilHorace »

FlyingPenguin wrote: On the flip side, how many people think about the fact that their credit card company knows everywhere they've been shopping?
Why would that surprise anyone or be a bad thing? They have instant receipts of every transaction that you make and always have since they stopped using the old paper method from what, the 70s?

Unless you're doing something wrong or have something to hide, I'm failing to see a problem so far.

As far as FBs concerned, there's also another popular app called Foursquare (which I also have) and it's also tracking you locations and gives you push notifications whenever you're in a place with ratings. I tried it just to see what it was but I like it. Gives you ratings and opinions from other users and that's sometimes use full. Foursquare is very much like what's being showed in that Tom Cruise movie.

There are many apps that track your location, weather, social type apps, etc.

As long as GPS tracking is active on your phone, someone, somewhere can track your location at any moment.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

"As long as GPS tracking is active on your phone, someone, somewhere can track your location at any moment."

and it's probably in the metadata attached to all your pics. I think FB does strip the metadata when you post.