Anyone here using a VPN service?

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Anyone here using a VPN service?

Post by Executioner »

Some are recommending using a VPN service for better protection against hackers and snoops.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp
psypher
Golden Member

Re: Anyone here using a VPN service?

Post by psypher »

Yeah, I use TorGuard.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I bought a license for ProXPN when it was on sale, but I haven't installed it on my laptop yet.

A VPN is only practical on a laptop you intend to use on unsecure networks (hotels, wifi hotspots, etc). Only other use for it is to fool services like Netflix that your geographical location is different than it really is.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Also good to have on your phone when you are out and about and need to do some banking or logging into important accounts.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

On a WiFi or cellular? Because I would argue you're pretty secure on cellular data.

You basically want to protect yourself from man in the middle attacks, which are pretty easy to pull off on public WiFi.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I saw proxvpn on sale again recently. Like in the last few days, for the lifetime accounts.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

$39 for the Lifetime subscription for the next 2 days ($375 regular price): https://stacksocial.com/sales/proxpn-premium-lifetime

That's what I did. The last time they were selling them for $35 and I grabbed one.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Wifi, yeah. But I often find myself in facilities with little to no cel so I have to use their wifi, and I dont know what its going on there, so I vpn it up.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK thanks fellas for the responses. So it sounds like I really don't need one. My company gave me a Verizon Jet Pack that I can use for WIFI anywhere. I normally use it to log into work via VPN. It's my own portable hot spot that is unlimited.
For VPN at home, I was just curious if it would improve security, but it sounds like it's only worth having it in shared areas such as an airport, coffee shop, ect.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ya. The other use is if, for instance, you wanted to watch a movie on a service that was not available in your geographic area. So you'd use a service like ProXPN, and select a data center located in an area where that service DID allow you to watch it.

I know a lot of people do that in Europe to get around Netflix movie restrictions. They VPN through a data center in the US, although Netflix is now actively trying to defeat that.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I used to have one of those Verizon Jet Packs. They work nicely. We had gotten one for an attorney who has a cabin up in NC and he can't get internet service but does get 5 bars of Verizon wireless so he uses that to connect to the office. Works nicely.
Cap

Post by Cap »

Same here - have a few VZW JetPacks myself, they work great.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I picked up proxvpn when it was on sale last time. It enables you to connect to things like offshore card playing sites as well as moving your IP around for netflix etc. I have another proxy tool I've used in the past which resolves in the UK so you can watch live feeds of sports like the olympics on BBC in real time instead of the garbage they show here.