Oracle deprecates the Java browser plugin, prepares for its demise

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Oracle deprecates the Java browser plugin, prepares for its demise

Post by FlyingPenguin »

To be clear, they are killing off the BROWSER plug in. You can still install java and run java apps like Minecraft.

It's about time because no website runs java anymore (unless it was written in the dark ages) and it's just a major security problem.

Now we need to kill Flash...

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ts-demise/
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The problem with killing the Java plugin is that several companies have systems that rely on it. Our ERP and document retention systems are both browser based and use Java. I know they will still work but it sucks we won't see any more security updates.

I don't work IT at my company but I know they had no input on the software chosen by Senior Management. They hate the Java plugin as much as everyone else. However, they are paid to support out systems.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Now we need to kill Flash...
My thoughts exactly!
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

Still loads of pages that make use of the Java plugin, not as much as before, but still.
When all else fails, replace the user.