Another Forbes Article on MS

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Another Forbes Article on MS

Post by Executioner »

Seems like Forbes is the only one hammering on MS with regards to windows 10. I think some of his points may be valid, but it's really hard to predict the future for windows in 1-3 years from now.

When 'Free' Windows 10 Becomes Expensive, You Should Fear This

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... c7370d538d
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The article does make good points but he's sensationalizing things a bit. I think that griping about new versions of windows not running on older hardware is just something to gripe and write articles about. Windows 10 and 8 will work on hardware as long as there's drivers for it. Microsoft also made it very clear that the free Win 10 upgrades would only be good for a year.
But July 17th, 2017 is the killer. This is the last possible date Microsoft will allow Windows 7 or Windows 8 to be used on a cutting edge computer and still receive essential support like security patches. If this sounds a bit odd that’s understandable because Windows 7 and Windows 8 were meant to be supported until 14 January 2020 and 10 January 2023 respectively. But under the new rules that only applies if your hardware stays in the dark ages.
By "Dark Ages" I'm assuming he means all processors before Skylake. From what I understand about the next iteration of Skylake, Intel is implementing security features that simply won't be supported in earlier versions of windows.

I'm more worried about Microsoft pushing an update on windows 10 that's incompatible with our "Dark Age" processors and makes the OS inoperable.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well, we have another one: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... a64ea2593f
Microsoft has followed through on its widely criticised decision to give Windows 10 ‘Recommended’ status in Windows Update. This means installations begin automatically for users who have not changed the default Windows Update settings (the vast majority) so they will now have to proactively cancel a Windows 10 upgrade which has already started, rather than the prior approach of saying they don’t want it to start.

Fine. Tech savvy users and the most belligerent were happy to cancel the installation and remain on the copies of Windows they chose to pay for. Yet it still isn’t that simple. Infoworld reports those who cancelled the installation after it started are finding it restarts every time they reboot their computer.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Instead of inciting panic, maybe they could be helpful and direct the reader on how to turn off the recommended updates.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I never leave recommended updates on - even for clients. I've had Windows install crappy drivers too many times that way.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

Both articles are from the same guy mostly rehashing trying to fear monger for views.
When all else fails, replace the user.