BitTorrent tracker blocks Windows 10 users

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

BitTorrent tracker blocks Windows 10 users

Post by Executioner »

If you use BitTorrent a lot, you may want to re-think moving to Windows 10. BitTorrent sites are starting to block Windows 10 users.
Windows 10 is quickly gaining fans. Some of them, however, are growing distrustful of Windows 10's privacy settings. Some BitTorrent sites don't trust Windows 10 at all. So, at least one BitTorrent tracker, iTS, has blocked Windows 10 users from accessing torrents from their site. Others are considering banning Windows 10 users.

In a YouTube video, iTS proclaimed that "Windows 10 is nothing more than a spy tool that will keep track of every action, email, conversation, video, picture, or anything else that you do on your computer."

iTS based its position largely on Microsoft's new unified services and privacy agreements, specifically the clause which states that, "We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices."
Windows 10 Privacy: Step by step

In addition, the BitTorrent sites administrators are concerned that even if you do lock Windows 10's privacy settings down, Windows 10 will still transmit some data to Microsoft.
Read this

IT Security in the Snowden Era
14 privacy tools you should use to stay secure
Need to lock down your phone? These security apps are some of the best

iTS might have been able to live with that, but it's who Microsoft shares your data with that brought it to the end of its rope. In a Reddit post, iTS states: "Microsoft decided to revoke any kind of data protection and submit whatever they can gather to not only themselves but also others. One of those is one of the largest ahttps://www.pcabusers.org/forums/images/editor/ ... nti-piracy company [sic] called MarkMonitor. Amongst other things Windows 10 sends the contents of your local disks directly to one of their servers. Obviously this goes way too far and is a serious threat to sites like ours which is why we had to take measures."

Like other BitTorrent sites such as Pirate Bay, iTS often offers access to torrents of copyright materials such as music, TV shows, and movies. The argument over whether indexing such torrent files, which is what torrent trackers do, is in and of itself illegal has yet to be resolved.

Other BitTorrent trackers, such as FSC and BB, are discouraging their users from accessing their sites from Windows 10, but they haven't blocked it yet. Pirate Bay, still the world's biggest BitTorrent site, has yet to address the issue.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/bittorrent ... YHFb1d24ec
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think that's over reacting, but whatever. Chrome has been blocking access to torrent sites for a few months now, but a savvy user can get past it.

People should worry more about their ISPs looking over their shoulder.

But yeah, anyone running a torrent client is probably running it on an old box anyway. Doesn't bother me if the less tech-savvy get blocked from using torrents.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I have NO plans to upgrade my Usenet/SABnzb/Sickbeard/Torrent box. That'll stay on Win 7 for as long as it will work. I have my VPN selecting one of a dozen countries when I need to use torrents. Usenet is my primary source, over SSL of course.
------------------------------------------

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Losbot wrote:I have my VPN selecting one of a dozen countries when I need to use torrents.
I started doing this as well after getting two letters from Comcast in one month. Haven't had an issue since..

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I have a business account at home, so that I don't have D/L limits and can run any servers I want. Nothing is blocked and I've NEVER had a complaint with a biz account.

At my peak D/Ling years, I was doing 900GB to 1.6TB, just on Usenet alone, not including all other traffic that month. LMAO :s mile

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Losbot wrote:I have my VPN selecting one of a dozen countries when I need to use torrents. Usenet is my primary source, over SSL of course.
So how does one go about setting up something like this? Sorry but I'm a network dummy when it comes to connections like this.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Sign up with a VPN service. Once you connect to one of their servers, your traffic will be encrypted and you'll use them as a proxy. I pick countries that aren't so quick to comply with requests from the US. LOL

Also comes in handy on a laptop, if you jump onto an open WiFi.

This is what I'm using: https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Losbot wrote:Sign up with a VPN service. Once you connect to one of their servers, your traffic will be encrypted and you'll use them as a proxy. I pick countries that aren't so quick to comply with requests from the US. LOL

Also comes in handy on a laptop, if you jump onto an open WiFi.

This is what I'm using: https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn
Thanks for the link. Which option are you using? Seems like the Pro is the better option. Nice that they bill once a year. I might have to consider this again if I go back to using Newsgroups. Since I quit about a year ago, I miss looking for stuff.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote:Thanks for the link. Which option are you using? Seems like the Pro is the better option. Nice that they bill once a year. I might have to consider this again if I go back to using Newsgroups. Since I quit about a year ago, I miss looking for stuff.
If you sign up with Giganews, it's included in the packages. If you do it on its own, I'd get the Pro for $100/yr.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Losbot wrote:If you sign up with Giganews, it's included in the packages. If you do it on its own, I'd get the Pro for $100/yr.
So if I sign up for giganews, this VPN is included?
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yes.

If you (or anyone else) is interested, hook a brotha' up and let me send you a friend referral. Just need a name and email address for me to provide them.