Privacy settings in Win10

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I with ya' on that one. I want to search JUST my PC.
If I want something that's on the WEB, I'll search the damn WEB.
------------------------------------------

Wedge
Goober Member

Post by Wedge »

A little late to the convo, but did anyone catch the Win7/8/8.1 updates MS quietly pushed out that apparently also send data back to them?

http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/new-win ... ws-10.html

Edit: Apparently they're optional.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

So, here's my only bitch so far.. Got home last night, sat down on my computer, typed in my password and "Password is incorrect."...... FU I say.. I type it again and "Password is incorrect."....... NFW I say.. I type it again and "Password is incorrect, please make sure it matches your windows live account.".... Wait a minute.. Who the F told you that you could join to/sync with that account? I haven't even logged into that account since before the upgrade. WTF? I wasn't too happy about that. Highly thinking about restoring the image from before the upgrade.. But I'll give it another week or two...

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

eGoCeNTRoNiX wrote:So, here's my only bitch so far.. Got home last night, sat down on my computer, typed in my password and "Password is incorrect."...... FU I say.. I type it again and "Password is incorrect."....... NFW I say.. I type it again and "Password is incorrect, please make sure it matches your windows live account.".... Wait a minute.. Who the F told you that you could join to/sync with that account? I haven't even logged into that account since before the upgrade. WTF? I wasn't too happy about that. Highly thinking about restoring the image from before the upgrade.. But I'll give it another week or two...

eGo
Just switch your account to a local one. I had my account switched when I checked out the Xbox app.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Err wrote:Just switch your account to a local one. I had my account switched when I checked out the Xbox app.
That must have been what it was.. I did download a game from there.. Interesting..
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It could only be on a Microsoft account login if you selected that option during the upgrade, or specifically asked for it later.

I strongly recommend no one use a Microsoft account unless you intend to use any of the cloud sync services. Even on my Surface I don't log in with a Microsoft account.

Any yeah, if you (or friend or family) sets up Win10 with an MS account, it's trivial to change it to a local account after the fact.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:It could only be on a Microsoft account login if you selected that option during the upgrade, or specifically asked for it later.

I strongly recommend no one use a Microsoft account unless you intend to use any of the cloud sync services. Even on my Surface I don't log in with a Microsoft account.

Any yeah, if you (or friend or family) sets up Win10 with an MS account, it's trivial to change it to a local account after the fact.
The Xbox app did ask for my Microsoft account information when I opened it for the first time. However, it didn't inform me it was switching my login. I noticed on a restart. I switched my account back and haven't opened the app since.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

My dad's laptop running 8.1 mysteriously switched to his MS account from his local account last spring. No clue why - but he does click on things sometimes. A pain to deal with b/c he couldn't remember his MS password, and to reset you need web which you can't get to from a MS login. Hey MS - we all don't have or want web all the time.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The only way I can see that happening, is if you try to use some of the tile apps that require an MS account, it will strongly recommend switching to an MS Windows logon. You can opt out and just log into each apps separately, but if you're not careful it'll walk you through creating an MS account AND default you to use it as the Windows login.

I only know that because I'm setting up a Surface Pro right now, and just setting up the email app is a pain. Even if you intend to use it with a non-MS email, it still wants you to set it up with an MS account first, and I almost allowed it to switch me to an MS login for Windows.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:The only way I can see that happening, is if you try to use some of the tile apps that require an MS account, it will strongly recommend switching to an MS Windows logon. You can opt out and just log into each apps separately, but if you're not careful it'll walk you through creating an MS account AND default you to use it as the Windows login.

I only know that because I'm setting up a Surface Pro right now, and just setting up the email app is a pain. Even if you intend to use it with a non-MS email, it still wants you to set it up with an MS account first, and I almost allowed it to switch me to an MS login for Windows.
The insistance on Windows 10 wanting to switch to an MS login is my only real gripe with 10. There needs to be one main setting that alows users to login with a local account but use an MS login for apps. I was already fooled to switch when i wanted to check out the Xbox app features.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It was that way in Win 8 also. The Surface Pro I was working on was Win8.1

Yeah, it's annoying. However, on a regular PC/Laptop no one should really be using Tile apps IMO. On a Surface tablet is a different story.