AVIRA AV - No More

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

AVIRA AV - No More

Post by Executioner »

Anyone having issues with AVRIA antivirus? In my other thread with the server board that I'm putting together, I installed AVIRA but started to get BOSD when doing a scan. It was a fresh install of XP pro with all the latest updates. I thought maybe that I downloaded a bad copy, but I removed it and downloaded another copy and the same issue.

Now, the new version asks you to install other options like the ASK tool bar and there is no way I can see to prevent it from asking again. Might have to move to another free AV.

(a) there is no opt out option before the upgrade installs it
(b) even if you could uninstall the toolbar after the upgrade Avira would keep bugging you with pop-ups to re-install it

What a shame! This was a great free AV until this crap.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, I've started to move away from Avira. They worked around the nag screen issue & it's not worth fixing again. Most of the computers I run now are just using Microsoft's Security Essentials or AVG. Avast is still pretty decent though (well last time I tried it).
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah Avira is very aggressive about the toolbar install. I like Avira on old systems because it's light weight, but it's way too naggy and I really find the autorun protection popup annoying.

On client's old systems I've switched to AVAST. I do the Custom install and I uncheck EVERYTHING except realtime virus scanning. Then I go into the settings and turn off the taskbar icon animation and the audible alerts.

On newer systems I use Microsoft Security Essentials.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

After reading Ex's and Norm's posts last night I too was questioning Antivir (I had been since this Ask toolbar stuff as well as my "web protection" not ever being able to be enabled). All told, by 12pm or so I had paid (for the first time) $9.95 for BitDefender Pro (found a coupon code online which made it down to 10 bucks).

Anyone use BitDefender or have used it? Looked legitimately pretty darn good to me, will have to see how it goes.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Comparable to AVG in comparison tests. Avira and AVAST did slightly better:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/s ... ic2010.pdf
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.