LInux?

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Key Keeper

LInux?

Post by Key Keeper »

Are there any die hard users here that use Linux as their main operating system? The more I use Fedora the more I enjoy it. Other than gaming, I havnt found anything I cant do easily in Fedora. I did try Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, and SuSE but Im most comfortable using Fedora.
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
TheSovereign

Post by TheSovereign »

i use linux on my main rig and my wintendo for gaming and browsing web
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67rc96joOz8#t=0m58s">YodelRoll!</a>
<a href="http://www.halfinchbullet.com/">Goto HalfInchBullet.com!</a>
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well just installed Doom3 and COD4 in Fedora and they work flawlessly. Installing BF2 now so will see how that goes. The latest version of WINE uses the dx9c so maybe this will open some things up. Graphics for COD4 are awesome in Linux. I hope BF2 will play same way.
smb
Almighty Member

Post by smb »

I use Kubuntu alot. The only thing that keeps me from making the switch totally is finding an app that is comparable to Foobar2000. Amarok just doesn't cut it for customization. Only PC game I play is WOW, and that is pretty easy to get set up with wine since it's been out for so long.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well Im having issues with bf2 (my fav fps) so now Im dL crossover games for Linux (I lost my unlocked copy). If I can get it installed and working with online play Im going to ditch windows all together. Office 2007 works fine in wine 1.1.5 so thats about all the microsoft software I really need.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Key Keeper wrote:Office 2007 works fine in wine 1.1.5 so thats about all the microsoft software I really need.
I'm surprised you are not using Open Office?
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Im toying with OOo a bit but Im so used to excel atm. Going to take some getting use to. As for BF2, apparently the only way to get it to run online is by purchasing Cedega. Im assuming since steam installed fine then I can dL games thru it and they will work. Hasnt locked up once so far so fingers crossed.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

smb wrote:I use Kubuntu alot. The only thing that keeps me from making the switch totally is finding an app that is comparable to Foobar2000. Amarok just doesn't cut it for customization. Only PC game I play is WOW, and that is pretty easy to get set up with wine since it's been out for so long.

Foobar2000 on linux????

Works like a champ

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well any game that uses punkbuster for online play is nil in linux COMPLETELY! Crossover, wine, and cedega cannot mimic the api callbacks from native windows processing. Guess Im stuck with single player games till they can figure this out and Im sure its going to be a long time.
[ GK ]

Post by [ GK ] »

I'm a big fan of Linux Mint. Not my main OS yet, but maybe soon.
smb
Almighty Member

Post by smb »

Key Keeper wrote:Foobar2000 on linux????

Works like a champ
Running Foobar in wine with the DirectSound Driver sucks, and Jack is still not very stable.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

smb wrote:Running Foobar in wine with the DirectSound Driver sucks, and Jack is still not very stable.
I used wine with ALSA as the sound driver. What was the last version of wine you used? 1.1.6 works like a champ, expecially hack-wine-1.1.6-pkg.
smb
Almighty Member

Post by smb »

it's wine so it's still emulated. really it's the fact that i like using ASIO.