Firefox 3.0.1 Will not Remember Passwords

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Err
Life Member

Firefox 3.0.1 Will not Remember Passwords

Post by Err »

This problem started a couple of days ago. When I click "Remember Me" on this forum, or any other forum or website and close firefox, firefox is not reading the passwords from the cookies. I've emptied the cookies and even deleted the entire Mozilla folder in my user profile. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

Internet Exploder is working fine but I'd rather use Firefox. Thanks All.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Hum...I'm using 3.0.1 and do not have that problem.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I may just have to completely uninstall, remove all the folders, and reinstall.
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

Executioner wrote:Hum...I'm using 3.0.1 and do not have that problem.
same
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Working fine for me. You sure you didn't install some cookie blocker plugin?
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

For some reason, it's working again. I may have bigger problems though. For the past week, I've been getting random BSOD when using Firefox. I don't know what triggers them. Upon rebooting, I get this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000008
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini080908-01.dmp
C:\Users\amynmike\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40903-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\amynmike\AppData\Local\Temp\WER112F.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

I'm beginning to get quite annoyed. I don't know what the problem is. I only get them with Firefox. I can game for hours with not so much as a lockup or crash. My application logs don't show anything out of place except the security audit log with states:

Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpip.sys

From what I can find out, this is caused by either an unsigned driver or if you patch the file to fix the simultaneous connection limitation. I've reinstalled my MB drivers and I've not patched that file. My wife browses with IE and hasn't had any problems.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I don't think this is Firefox related, but TCP/IP related. tcpip.sys is part of the TCP/IP network stack. I suspect if you started using IE full time it would still happen.

If you google that error you'll see a lot of people having the same issue irregardless of the browser.

I assume you have Vista? Seems to be Vista specific because Vista does file integrity checks (so does XP but not as ruthlessly and you'd get a different error message from XP). Windows is warning you that it believes a core file (TCPIP.SYS) was altered. Now it could have been altered many ways: a virus perhaps, or more likely the file became corrupt. You can also get these errors if you're overheating or have bad memory (false positive due to a failure of the validity test). Check your temps and re-seat the RAM (pull them out and re-insert them which will clean the contacts).

ALSO (often neglected and the cause of many random BSODs) check the heatsink on the Northbridge chipset on the mobo. An overheating Northbridge will cause all kinds of stability issues and the heatsinks on them are often poorly attached.

Hard drive errors would me my prime suspect. That could also explain the other problem with cookies. I would recommend you run run the hard drive manufacturer's factory diagnostic and perform a full (advanced) test. It could take half an hour. If it fails replace the drive immediately and clone it while it's readable.

If it passes then you may still have some "soft" sector corruption. Nothing fixes this better than GRC's Spinrite utility. I've taken to running it once every 6 months on level 4 just as a preventative measure. So you know Level 4 will take a LONG time (all night). You could run a Level 2 which is a quick fix and may only take half an hour, although I'd still run a Level 4 later when you get a chance even if level 2 fixes it.

If the problem still persists, and now that you're sure the drive is working well and been and had all it's sectors refreshed, I'd try using System Restore to go back well before the problem occurred (the farther the better due to the way System Restore works - at least a few weeks) and see if that resolves the issue. Better yet, if you have a backup image of the drive made with Acronis or Ghost that would be better.

Hope this helps...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Thanks FP. I was going to do a system restore but the restore points only go back the the 4th. The error started happening on the 5th. I looked up Spinrite and it's $89. Can you make a bootable CD with it?

I'm going to attempt to re-install SP-1 and see if it will fix the corrupt tcpip.sys. By the way internet exploder is crashing but it's not causing BSOD's.

If my hard drive is bad, what is a good brand these days?
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

uninstalling and re-installing SP1 fixed the tcip.sys audit error. At lease I no longer see it begin reported in the log. Now I just have to determine if the HD is going bad.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Err wrote:uninstalling and re-installing SP1 fixed the tcip.sys audit error. At lease I no longer see it begin reported in the log. Now I just have to determine if the HD is going bad.
Well the Western Digital Tools say the sectors are good. I'll just keep an eye on it and begin backing up data just in case. Thanks All!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yes, Spinrite makes a bootable CD or floppy. It is $89, but it's money well spent the first time you have a system that won't boot with bad sectors.

Although GRC does not have a trial version, they will refund your money in full if you buy it and it fails to recover the drive.

Check your Event Log for HDD errors in the system log. That will also tell you if the drive is failing.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Yes, Spinrite makes a bootable CD or floppy. It is $89, but it's money well spent the first time you have a system that won't boot with bad sectors.

Although GRC does not have a trial version, they will refund your money in full if you buy it and it fails to recover the drive.

Check your Event Log for HDD errors in the system log. That will also tell you if the drive is failing.
Thanks FP. The uninstall/reinstall of SP1 fixed the tcip.sys file and the SD diagnostics didn't find any sector problems. Still, the file went corrupt and I don't have an explanation for it. I'm probably going to pick up a copy of spinrite though. I've worked on several computers in the past that a utility like this would have come in handy.

I've yet to re-seat/clean the memory yet. It's on my "To Do" list.

I've been using WD hard drives for years with no problems. However, as of late, I've been hearing more complaints about them. What is a good brand now?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I like Seagate since they give you a 5 year warranty.

DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Ditto on Seagate although I have a mix of WD / Seagate and Hitatchis at the moment.