Dos Boot Disks...

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Dos Boot Disks...

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Ok Dudes.. (and dudettes) Here's the deal.. I have a 5 year old P200MMX lappy. My floppy drive is bust as mentioned in the hardware forum. I am trying to put win95 back on my lappy and of course you have to install DOS to do this. I have Dos 6.22 on floppy (of course did they make a bootable CD) and I've tried creating a bootable CD to install Dos 6.22 with no luck. Does anyone know how, or if this can be done? Any help is appreciated!! I'd run Win98 but I get a constant error with the IDE controllers and it give me a Windows Protection Error after I run the patch that supposed to fix the problem. So it's best I go back to Win95 for this old lappy.. HELP ME! please? lol.. eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Unless it's the upgrade version of Win95 (and even then I don't think you need DOS installed, you just need the first Win 3.1 floppy handy) you don't need to install DOS first.

Simplest way to do this is just boot with a Win98 Emergency Recovery floppy or the Win98 Install floppy or even boot with the 98 CD (if the computer supports CD booting which it may not).

Select "Boot with CD-Rom Support" from the boot menu.

Once you boot into DOS then FDISK and FORMAT the C drive (if it isn't already). Then put the Win95 CD in the CD drive and run the SETUP.EXE file on it.

Better yet (installs go smoother this way) create a \WIN95 folder on the C drive and copy all the files (you don't need the sub-directories - just the files) from the \WIN95 directory on the CD to the one you created on the hard drive. Then run SETUP.EXE from there. It'll go quicker and avoid issues Win9x sometimes has during installs of losing the CD.

Also you could download the Win95 installer floppy (make sure you get the right one - there were 4 or 5 versions of Win95) from here: http://bootdisk.com/
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

eGoCeNTRoNiX

!AWESOME!

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

*bows to the master* Salami.... Salami... Baloney.... :) (old popeye thing) That's awesome Help! I know what i'll be doing tonight. It does support booting from the CD-Rom, and I had tried the win98 thing before and switched the discs. But I didn't have any luck with it, but I didn't do some of the steps you're recommending. So I'll be doing that tonight. THANX!! eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!