w2k file format? Setting up now.

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
JohnG27
Genuine Member

w2k file format? Setting up now.

Post by JohnG27 »

Hey everyone,
My os just got in, and I have a question before setting it up, for partitioning. I'm gonna want a 4gb partiion for the os, then a partion for programs, a empty partion for linux, and possibly a partion for win9x. I have a quesiton. Can win9x read the file format of win2k? Does win2k use fat32 or ntfs I guess... or is it possible for win9x to read ntfs? Thanks :)
-John
MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

Win2k will use either NTFS or FAT32. I would suggest going with FAT32.
dadx2mj

Post by dadx2mj »

Win2K can be set up to do either fat32 or ntfs. If you are going to dual boot with Win9x use fat32 because Win9x can not access a ntfs file system
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Stick with FAT32. Win9x can't natively read NTFS (there is a third party NTFS driver for it though).

Overall, for a home user, FAT32 is the better choice. There's no big performance difference - the real difference is security. Meanwhile, if your Win2K boot partition gets trashed with FAT32, you'll still be able to access your files from a boot disk which you can't do with NTFS.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

JohnG27
Genuine Member

Thanks all

Post by JohnG27 »

Just finished gettin the os installed and doing a little bit of playing...lol. Used fat32. I might do dual boot with win9x. I know I will be puttin linux on eventually (debain) so I left a bit of room unpartitioned. If I have any progs that aren't liking running in w2k, will add a 9x partion too. Lilo :)
-John