Windows has amnesia

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
JMan
Golden Member

Windows has amnesia

Post by JMan »

Windows (98 SE) keeps forgetting stuff. First off, IE6 beta has been working fine for me, but yesterday and today it doesn't seem to be reading my cookies (even though they're still in the cookies folder). I have to log in to PCA (instead of it automatically logging in) and reset my preferences at buy.com, MSNBC, etc. I just rebooted because the new version of the Red Faction Multiplayer test bombed my comp, and when I boot up, ZoneAlarm lost all of the allowable programs, so now I have to retrain every single app I use that connects to the internet.
What could be going on? I'm doing a virus scan right now and it looks pretty clean so far.
TIA for any help or tips to stop the forgetfulness :)

JMan
"Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"
"I'm sorry, I don't listen to hip-hop."
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My advise is to uninstall IE 6 and go back to 5.x

It's a BETA and I personally don't want beta anything in my system.

IE 6 could easily be interfering with other apps because IE is so deeply imbedded into the GUI.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

JMan
Golden Member

Post by JMan »

If it's that deeply imbedded into Windows, I'm not gonna take any chances uninstalling it :) I fixed the thing with ZoneAlarm- I had to reinstall it. I had heard some horror stories about how uninstalling ZA has hosed installs of Windows, but I followed their instructions (deleting .dll's, etc.) and it was fine.
Do you know when IE6 final is coming out? If it's not more than a couple months away, I can live with this cookie problem.

JMan
"Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"
"I'm sorry, I don't listen to hip-hop."