Slow Boot Up?

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FanTum
Golden Member

Slow Boot Up?

Post by FanTum »

I have a ethernet card and DSL connection.

When I start up windows it takes forever to start like it is lookin' for somethin'. Some have told me it is lookin' for a network or somethin'.

Any ideas?
Disable?
"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong!"
NascarFool

Post by NascarFool »

Pull the ethernet card out and see if it boots up faster.
tunis5000
Almighty Member

Post by tunis5000 »

Bump
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

Probably your DSL modem looking for that dynamic Ip upon boot up.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Computers usually take longer to boot with a NIC installed. However, it shouldn't take a REAL long time.

If it does, then it might be your DSL modem taking a long time to provide the NIC with DHCP information, or I've also seen this be caused by PCI IRQ Sharing problems.

Try moving the NIC to another slot and see if it helps.

I've also had this problem with certain hardware combinations - installing a different brand of NIC might cure it.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

ketchup

Post by ketchup »

Have you installed DSL recently? If so, then what FlyingPenguin has stated is on point. If you haven't change anything, then you should give your ISP a call and check if you have the lastest PPPoE software they have. Did you get any email from your ISP about system downtime or upgrades? Has there been any work on your telephone line or your neighbors telephone line?

To speed up startup, I assume your using EnterNet 300 software, right click the Enternet 300 icon in your tray. click 'Application Settings', uncheck 'Launch at Window startup', click 'OK', and you're done.

Hope that helps

Ray
Pricewatch | Heatware | System | Just Above the Spectrum
Golden Member

Post by FanTum »

here goes!
"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong!"