Rift or Vive?

Discuss Virtual Reality (and I'm not talking about that episode with the bottle of Tequila you drank last night)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Rift or Vive?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

So where do we stand in 2019? My RC Plane sim now supports VR in the latest release and people say it works great with both Vive and Rift. Since I want to use VR with other things (like maybe to get back into Elite Dangerous) I want the best all around VR device.

What are you guys using and what do you like/not like?

Thx
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Rift or Vive?

Post by Losbot »

I've been on the fence still.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Vive does better roomspace, Rift has slightly better optics and is cheaper. If the Vive comes with the knuckle controllers it's ok, otherwise Rift controllers feel better to me.

That said, with the next gen Rift stuff soon, I'd wait. Optics on either of the current headsets arent great, and if your are in no rush, I'd wait or better lenses. The fresnel lenses still used just bug the shit out of me. I am seriously considering the mod to put my oculus go lenses into the vive, even with the shortcomings, because the current lenses fresnel artefacting bugs me so much. Vive Pro is too expensive for too little improvement.

IE, still about the same as the last 2 years :D Buy 1 super cheap if used, otherwise probably not worth it yet.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

How about those of us who are far sighted? I can't even use a computer monitor anymore without glasses (still see fine driving)?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

There are commercial options for both for prescription lenses if you dont wanna use your glasses. I am not sure for the Rift, but for the vive there are also free 3D printer models to print your own frame and they tell you hat cheap lenses to order that will fit in them. Thats the route I did since the official ones are 100+ bucks, and the print itself cost me nothing, and the cheap lenses are like 15 bucks.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1639833