New Monitor?

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Same here. Never a problem with Amazon. With NewEgg, it depends on WHAT you're buying.
------------------------------------------

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Clicked the box for Amazon. We'll see what I get. It really is a big ass monitor.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
normalicy

Re: New Monitor?

Post by normalicy »

I keep wavering back and forth on the whole wide curved monitor too. I kind of like the separateness of my monitors. But darn it would be nice to have seamless games. But darn I bet a lot of games screw up with it...
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I've recently made a slight upgrade to my 4 monitor setup (3x 24" side-by-side and 1x 24" above them). I kept finding myself having to undock windows from Visual Studio and moving them to other monitors. I don't like having a mixture of monitors, especially sizes. This means upgrading monitors is a real pain financially as that forces me to upgrade ALL at once. Anyways, I took a chance and replaced just my bottom center monitor with a Dell UltraSharp U3417W. I have to say it ended up being a good fit along with my 24s (They are UltraSharps as well). The slight height difference (1440 vs 1200) isn't as noticeable or bothersome as I thought it might be. It's basically about the height of the task bar. I love the monitor, plenty of room to keep Visual Studio all on one monitor. It also helped that BestBuy carries them and at the time Dell had them down to under $650 so BestBuy price matched them. It made it easier to buy knowing I could easily return it if I wasn't happy with it. Funny story, so I ordered it online for local pickup and planned out to have dinner near the store. It was like a 45 min wait, so while the family was waiting I drove down to pick it up in my not so big car.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I keep wavering back and forth on the whole wide curved monitor too. I kind of like the separateness of my monitors. But darn it would be nice to have seamless games. But darn I bet a lot of games screw up with it...
Gotta say once you go to one ultra wide monitor, you'll never go back to two or three side-by-side.

I was worried I'd have a problem with a curved monitor, but I'm loving it. My concern was that the curve would mess me up doing things like drawings on the desktop, but it's not been an issue at all.

In games, it's a wonderful experience. There's really no compatibility issues with games. All games see it as exactly what it is: a single 3440x1440 monitor. Windows has long since (since Win7) just told the game what size the monitor is any game made in the last 10 years will just scale. Even L4D2 has no issues with it. I'm playing Max Payne on it which does have some resolution limitations because it was never designed for wide aspect ratios, but in that case you just get black bands on the left and right, or in my case, I installed a wide screen fixer patch for it.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Well darn, you've convinced me.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I 2nd what Pengo said. I love my 34" wide. None of my games have had any issues with the resolution of 3440x1440. It was a nice find for the price and being a G-Sync.