Cusanus Game - old school time travel sci-fi

Post your book reviews here
wvjohn

Cusanus Game - old school time travel sci-fi

Post by wvjohn »

<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I tend to really like a lot of the older Sci-fi because it's all original. Most of what we get now a days unless it's a great author is a retread of what has already been done.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

normalicy wrote:I tend to really like a lot of the older Sci-fi because it's all original. Most of what we get now a days unless it's a great author is a retread of what has already been done.
I think it's funny how much the older sci-fi authors got right. Much of the older authors also used the medium to address social and political issues as well as add warnings about the future. I think that's missing in modern sci-fi.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Agreed on a lot of the old school stuff - I like to be challenged when I am reading things and like to be forced to think. I've read who knows how many sci-fi books in the last 50+ years, and a lot of the modern stuff is "tom clancy techy" - cute, but no plot to speak off.

Unfortunately, lowest common denominator writing is what a lot of the new fiction is about - I picked up a book yesterday (I volunteer at the local library) that was called Straits of Hormuz and had a naval ship on the cover. Turned out to be a formula "thriller" - rogue US agent, Middle Eastern psychos, etc. These things should really be published one chapter a week.

There's still some good stuff out there, just have to keep looking!
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>