life expectancy of today tv .

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

life expectancy of today tv .

Post by reno »

what do you feel is the life expectancy of your flat screen tv ?

i'm kind of surprised when i read this.
The average lifespan of an LED at maximum or close-to-maximum brightness is 40,000 to 60,000 hours, or 4.5 to 6.8 years. For sake of ease, let's say it's 5 to 7 years, with the understanding that you aren't watching TV for 24 hours a day (I hope)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: life expectancy of today tv .

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I googled around a bit and the life expectancy of an LED HDTV is 60,000 and 100,000 hours. Looks like the numbers you listed are for LED bulbs which a re a different animal (BTW: in my experience the LEDs never fail in LED bulbs - it's the voltage converter chip that fails, probably due to heat, and I've yet to see one actually make it to 40,000 hours much less 60,000 - I think they're designed to fail).

Also keep in mind that you're not using a TV at full brightness at home, and there's lot's of variety in the design of the panels.

I can say from personal experience that my two oldest Samsung HDTVs are 2011 Samsung models, but those aren't LEDs. They're fluorescent back-lit LCDs. Still working fine, and they've got a LOT of hours on them. One was used for 7 years in my bedroom, and my wife watches TV all day. The other used to be in my patio. I now have them in the guest and spare rooms and they still look great.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I have a LCD I bought when I moved to GA, and it's still going after 12 years. Also have a cheapo plasma for the living room thats 7 years old and still looks fine, although it gets less usage normally
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My Samsung 65" plasma from 2011 finally has a few thin vertical lines on it and I'm going to replace it it the next week or two with a new 65" LG OLED.
Our oldest LCD is a 42" from 2005 and it's a fluorescent back-lit one. Still working fine. A 50" LED LCD TV is about 8yrs old but it gets maybe 3 hours a month of use. It'll probably last a while at this rate.
------------------------------------------