life expectancy of today tv .

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

life expectancy of today tv .

Postby reno » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 am

what do you feel is the life expectancy of your flat screen tv ?

i'm kind of surprised when i read this.
The average lifespan of an LED at maximum or close-to-maximum brightness is 40,000 to 60,000 hours, or 4.5 to 6.8 years. For sake of ease, let's say it's 5 to 7 years, with the understanding that you aren't watching TV for 24 hours a day (I hope)

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: life expectancy of today tv .

Postby FlyingPenguin » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:09 pm

I googled around a bit and the life expectancy of an LED HDTV is 60,000 and 100,000 hours. Looks like the numbers you listed are for LED bulbs which a re a different animal (BTW: in my experience the LEDs never fail in LED bulbs - it's the voltage converter chip that fails, probably due to heat, and I've yet to see one actually make it to 40,000 hours much less 60,000 - I think they're designed to fail).

Also keep in mind that you're not using a TV at full brightness at home, and there's lot's of variety in the design of the panels.

I can say from personal experience that my two oldest Samsung HDTVs are 2011 Samsung models, but those aren't LEDs. They're fluorescent back-lit LCDs. Still working fine, and they've got a LOT of hours on them. One was used for 7 years in my bedroom, and my wife watches TV all day. The other used to be in my patio. I now have them in the guest and spare rooms and they still look great.
“The context of social networks serving as amplifiers for idiots and crazy people is not what we intended.” - Eric Shmidt

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Postby Genom » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 pm

I have a LCD I bought when I moved to GA, and it's still going after 12 years. Also have a cheapo plasma for the living room thats 7 years old and still looks fine, although it gets less usage normally

Losbot
Almighty Member

Postby Losbot » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:44 pm

My Samsung 65" plasma from 2011 finally has a few thin vertical lines on it and I'm going to replace it it the next week or two with a new 65" LG OLED.
Our oldest LCD is a 42" from 2005 and it's a fluorescent back-lit one. Still working fine. A 50" LED LCD TV is about 8yrs old but it gets maybe 3 hours a month of use. It'll probably last a while at this rate.
------------------------------------------

Return to “Home Theatre”