what radio to install on my pontoon

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
renovation

what radio to install on my pontoon

Post by renovation »

I have a 21 foot pontoon that needs a system.
i'd like to add a radio to it this summer.
right now there is no radio at all .
going to be a month or better before i can afford a system .
I just redid the complete eletrical system. (new lights running and set of fog lights, battery ,switchs .wires , fuse box and ground bar ) plus bought and installed a bimini top and aluminum frame. so burned up a ton of cash .now im working on the fuel system rebuilt the fuel pump .carbs next to be pulled and rebuilt . the rebuild kit and fuel pump rebuild kit's cost less then the navagation lights i just replaced . they sure nail you when it comes to a boat.
I did all the work my self installing and rebuilding.
to top this all off i have had to rebuild one briggs 17.5 hp riding mower . found bad rings in it and carb needed a overhauled , then worked on a old montgomery wards rider mower of my father inlaws. we overhauled the carb in it to .all this in the last week talk about see a bank account drain fast . plus buying 2 new batterys one for the boat and one for the old montgomery wards rider . :(
so i have to wait on the radio for a bit .but want ideas .
i also need to get a enclosure of some kind to keep the radio in as there is no slot for a radio on the boat right now !
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I just did a pontoon radio install. If there is no slot & no spot available to cut one, then you may be able to get one of THESE or THESE. Once you have the mounting situation under control, you're gonna want one of THESE or THESE (I'm kinda partial to the slide down type).

Next, you'll need a stereo. They have purpose built marine units, but honestly, they seem to fail just as much as the regular ones if you get water on them. Thus, just get a regular one & make sure it's covered as much as possible.

Finally, if you don't have speakers. This is where getting marine quality is worth it, because the foam surrounds on most speakers disintegrate quickly with sun/water exposure as well as water being able to get into the voice coil gap & rusting out the magnet & and destroying the coil. You have a couple routes to take. You can either purchase raw drivers like THESE or you can get enclosed speakers like THESE.

Of course, where you purchase the stuff is up to you. I could help you out on the stereo & speaker part (if you choose raw drivers) since I've got piles of stuff. Heck, I've even got one of the marine covers (the fold down type).
renovation

Post by renovation »

normalicy pm sent !
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Replied
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

If you dont need optical disc I would get a USB radio with a remote brain box that you can hide somewhere dry. My friend does this stuff all the time.. I dont know exact models but ill ask him about it later today and let you know what one he uses on his woods buggy. He says he sprayed it with a power washer several times and not a single problem out of it. He did take an old pill bottle and made a little water proof container to hold the USB stick. I can take pictures of that too.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
renovation

Post by renovation »

well do to a shortage of cash radios on hold for a while :(
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

No problem, I know how that goes.