Lcd Tv Set ~

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
renovation

Lcd Tv Set ~

Post by renovation »

I'll be buying a new set in the next month or so. something in the 42-46 inch screen size to replace are 32 inch RCA flat screen picture tube monster. what brands would you recommend i be looking at. also one of my concern is glare as the TV will be placed across from my bay window that will get morning sun in. also i have a 6' wide side window that seems to get afternoon sunlight coming in. I'm planning on wall mounting the unit across from a 4'h x 5'w bay window that is facing east on the house.
the room size is about 12ft wide x 16ft long the tv will be 12 ft across from the bay window i spoke of. when you see them in the stores glare is not something you are aware of do to there lighting but it sure suck to get one home and fine out all you see is a thing that hanging on the wall and kind of looks like a picture frame :(
i know im going to buy a 1080 unit.
i hope this make sense to you guys.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

vizio have been great for me
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I've got a Sharp Aquos & am very impressed by the picture quality. Though, I'm not going to say one is better than another since I've heard of many of my friends being happy with their purchases. I will say that at this size, don't skimp. Get a 1080p set. It's noticeable when it's 42" (or to me it is). Some recommend 120hz, I both like it & dislike it. It's actually kind of weird when watching movies, but it's nice for TV & sports. Best to check it out yourself. Oh and 42" is definitely the sweet spot for size to me, unless you have a complex with size (then go for 50").

Most manufacturers rely on the flat screen to keep glare down (since it will reflect the light in one direction instead of spreading it). If you currently have a flat tube TV & still have glare issues, it'll be hard to overcome. I know some have anti-glare coatings, but they work minimally IMO.

As for wall mounting, check monoprice.com. Can't beat their prices. I got a shallow mount, however, you may prefer a tilting/swiveling mount in order to deal with your particular glare issue. Also, if you want to run the wires through the wall, you are technically required to use romex cable for the in-wall portion of the power journey & needs to be terminated with an outlet in a box to pass electrical code & not void your home insurance. Signal cables can be run however, but they do have special inlets/outlets for that.
renovation

Post by renovation »

normalicy thanks for the link on the mounts thats a major savings from what i seen in B&M . i from just looking around in the local stores thought one was going to cost me $100 on up .
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I have two Sony's 32". One is a 720 60Hz and the other is a 1080 120Hz. I like them both. I couldn't get any larger because the wife refuses to give up the entertainment center.

My father-in-law just bought a 46" Samsung 1080i 60Hz this weekend and it looks really good.

Since you have a glare problem, avoid plasma's because they have glass screens. As long as you stick to a well known brand of TV, you should be fine. I personally prefer Sony or Samsung. However, I've heard really good things about Sharp, Panasonic, and Vizio.

Make sure the TV you're buying has the number of inputs and outputs you want for the equipment you have and want to buy. The Samsung my father-in-law just bought didn't have audio out. This made hooking up the surround sound more difficult as I had to run cables from each component to the receiver. Plan to buy a Blue-Ray player along with the TV. Otherwise, you will be disappointed in the picture if you don't have any HD programming. Standard Definition programming doesn't look very good on an HD television. When selection the player, get one with the wireless built in if you prefer to stream videos from the internet. The adapters to make one that only has the LAN port wireless are $90.

Since you know you're going to be upgrading soon, purchase you HDMI cables over the internet. Newegg has HDMI 6' cables for $5 to $10 dollars. You'll pay a minimum of $30 for a six foot at Best Buy or Wal Mart.
d_b

Post by d_b »

Another Vizio vote here. I've had mine 2+ years without any problems. Glare isnt too much of a problem with an LCD. My mom and dad have one set up like you will have and the glare isnt bad at all.

Keep in mind that if your signal isnt HD the bigger the screen the wider objects will look.
I'm not lazy by nature, I work very hard at being lazy.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I finnaly broke down and bought me a TV and surround sound. I already had a Samsung BD player. Payed $806 for the tv so wasnt too bad.

TV LINK

SURROUND LINK
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Go to meritline.com for HDMI cables. Recommend the 3 pack.

Oh I found this too. You may not be looking at this size, but for the price, it's hard to ignore. Includes the wall mount too.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=A3514013
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I bought 2 weeks ago a Samsung plasma 50" for $1299 at Best Buy. I was looking at the new LCD/LED, but the plasma, at least in my eyes and my wife's was the best picture.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Agreed on picture quality. Plasma wins hands down (ink black blacks). Now for power usage (mine uses over 350 watts) & weight (mine is twice as heavy as my same size LCD), LCD wins. Up to you to decide what you want more.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Because Im LCD illiterate, is the extra $300 worth the one inch bigger screen and the 120hz refresh? Visio vs Sony, I would think that sony would win even at a lower refresh rate. Im probably wrong though.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Key Keeper wrote:Because Im LCD illiterate, is the extra $300 worth the one inch bigger screen and the 120hz refresh? Visio vs Sony, I would think that sony would win even at a lower refresh rate. Im probably wrong though.
Do you have the model numbers handy for the TV's you're looking at? Aside from the size, there may be differences in the contrast ratio or features. The reason I went with Sony is that I've had good luck with them.

The biggest factor in buying a TV is how it looks to YOU. 120MHz is nice for live sports and fast action but the funny part about that is if you're only going to watch movies on the TV. Movies are filmed at 24 frames per second. Ideally, you want to have a TV-Blue-Ray setup that's capable of displaying movies at 1080p 24p. To reiterate my first point, it really comes down to how it looks to you.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Because Im LCD illiterate, is the extra $300 worth the one inch bigger screen and the 120hz refresh? Visio vs Sony, I would think that sony would win even at a lower refresh rate. Im probably wrong though.
Huh? Are you comparing the Sony to the Vizio? If so, the Visio is $50 cheaper (not counting the fact that Sony charges tax most everywhere), 1" larger & 120mhz & shipped free to boot. Not saying the Sony is a poor choice, just saying that the Visio is a different & competitive one. There's always a better deal somewhere.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

I payed $806 for my sony at Best Buy, the link for the visio is dead but I think it was $1,099. Was just curious about the 120hz delta.

Model: KDL-46EX400
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

The Vizio was $750 shipped with wall mount. But yes, normally, there is a premium for 120hz & it's usually a few hundred.

Oh & while I'm at it. If you go plasma, here's the current deal Panasonic 1080p 42" $679 (you need to add to cart to see discounted price, good till April 1st).