Broken TV tuner, what now?

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
pseizure2000
Genuine Member

Broken TV tuner, what now?

Post by pseizure2000 »

So yesterday I needed to move my 47" lcd so i proceeded to unscrew the cable from the TV tuner in the back, but something was off, it was jiggling a good bit, and it seemed stuck. So after about 30 minutes of trying to unscrew it, the whole tuner connection popped off the back of the TV. wtf

I've been told the cheapest option would be to buy a stand alone tuner which are supposedly available for under 50 bucks. I'm not sure which kind I need though... my cable connects directly to my cable box, then to the tv tuner. So how does this all sound to you guys? Any suggestions on a specific product?

(im pretty sure my dirtbag roommate is the one who broke it in the first place)
Didn't you know?
-Know what?
Starbucks has taken over the world.
-WHAT!?
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

You sure it can't pop back on? I suspect an external tuner won't help you much if the internal one popped off (unless it's on a different board than the other inputs).
pseizure2000
Genuine Member

Post by pseizure2000 »

well it's literally broken off, and i think that the metal strip that connected the tuner connector to the tuner circuit board is severed.

an external tuner would have composite or other such outputs i heard
Didn't you know?
-Know what?
-WHAT!?
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Ok.. So you have no inputs on the LCD now at all? They all broke off with the tuner? Or you just don't have the Coax connector? If you still have HDMI or Component or even side RCA inputs, you should be able to hook those up from the cable box and then use it as normal?

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
pseizure2000
Genuine Member

Post by pseizure2000 »

ah yeah i completely forgot about the cable box. I'll have to see if it has any other outputs other than coax
Didn't you know?
-Know what?
-WHAT!?
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

Most cable boxes have RCA and/or S-video these days. If it is a HD box, it would likely have Component and HDMI as well.
When all else fails, replace the user.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Wow, completely broke off huh? I'm such a nut that I'd solder it back together, but that's me. I've done some crazy stupid solder work in my time (in the hundreds of connections) just to get a simple thing to work.