Aida CD Mat

Discussions and tips about Home Theatre, HDTV and DVD setups
Err
Life Member

Aida CD Mat

Post by Err »

I was looking at sale items at Music Direct and came across this little gem of snake oil.

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/a ... da-cd-mat/

http://marigoaudio.com/aida-cd-mat/
Marigo's CD mat features material-technology upgrades that result in an even quieter noise floor, greater static absorption, stronger resonance control, enhanced low-level detail, and improved ambience information. Its proprietary coatings also lend to analog-like realism. Stunning.
It can be yours now for a cool $169.00 USD. I did find a couple of review that claimed to show improvement. It makes me wonder if these reviewers know how a digital signal works. What I find hilarious is that you can objectively measure all the things this mat claims but nobody has done so.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Aida CD Mat

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You know, for a moment there I thought it was a mat for under a record. But a mat on top of a CD? What exactly is that going to do? It probably does make the mechanism quieter, only because there is now more weight on the spindle, but there's no way that equates into a better sound.

And if it was $10 well okay, what the hell, but $170?

But hey, at least it has 'hand laid-up polarizing filaments' (whatever the hell that is) and a 'semi-transparent coating which dissipates static build-up in real time'.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Here is another one: shaving the disc.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh for the love of God...
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The CD Lathe actually received an award somehow: http://www.ultrasystem.com/usfeaturedpr ... eview.html

I generally take Audiophile reviews with a grain of salt but this is ridiculous. Like the disc mat above, you can measure noise, frequency response, jitter, etc. but none of the reviews bother to do so.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

95% of audiophile stuff is garbage. It annoys me people are allowed to make such false advertisements.

Linus did one on a audiophile grade network switch... it was about what I expected it to be.
Err
Life Member

Shakti - Electromagnetic Stabilizer Stone

Post by Err »

Oh boy: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/a ... stone-air/
Increase Resolution by Placing a Shakti Electromagnetic Stabilizer Stone over a Component's Power Transformer: Noise-Reduction Circuitry Absorbs EMI and RFI

The Shakti Electromagnetic Stabilizer Stone uses proprietary noise-reduction circuitry to absorb and dissipate electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI). Through an energy-conversion process, the award-winning device uses an antenna-like circuit to absorb these fields and dissipate them as heat. Just place the Stone over the power transformer in any component and prepare to be amazed. With the Stone in place, music reproduction becomes clearer, with more liquidity, dynamics and focus. Backgrounds become quieter, allowing you to hear more ambient information essential for accurate perception of stage depth, width, and unwavering imaging. Each Shakti Stone measures 1.5" x 6.5" x 5.25" and is backed by our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
All this for $175. Again, I can't find any reviews that measure the claims of these stones.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

These are ridiculous. SMH
------------------------------------------