Deathloop 50% off ($30) on Steam

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Deathloop 50% off ($30) on Steam

Post by FlyingPenguin »

On sale until Dec 1st.

Been waiting for this to go on sale. Just pulled the trigger. If the game is only half as good as Arkane's last big game, Prey, then I'm all in.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252330/DEATHLOOP/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Deathloop 50% off ($30) on Steam

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Finally got around to playing 4 hours last night. The gameplay is great and the story is immersive. Unlike some of these games that spend the first 20 minutes with cutscenes and exposition, before getting to the action, this game throws you right into it. The game has a very well thought out way to introduce you to the gameplay mechanics during gameplay, without it feeling tedious.

The game let's you play how you want: Stealth or guns blazing. Great voice acting really makes the game, and the game looks great with a very stylish 60s look. Weapons I've found so far feel good. I haven't gotten far enough along to gain any powers yet.

I'm still working on completing the first major mission, which will give me a device that lets me keep all the items and weapons I find, instead of losing them at the end of the day when time loops.

I did get some video hitching until I updated the video driver (to be fair, the game warned me my driver wasn't optimized for the game).

If you liked the Bioshock games, or Prey, you'll probably love this.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I picked this up for the PS5 to add to my backlog. I'm currently playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits. Once I finish it or get tired of playing it, I may move on to this one.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've progressed enough to do three assassinations, and find a few of the better guns, upgrades and a couple of "slabs". Slabs give you telekinetic powers. I have one that let's you teleport short distances, and one that lets you "link" targets and then when you kill one, it kills everyone they're linked to.

The game is much more interesting now that I have some toys, and it's very fun planning complicated kills with the power of the slabs. There is a detective/mystery element to it but it's not necessary to get too deeply embroiled if you don't want.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, 20+ hours and I must say this game is enthralling. Definitely recommend if you are a fan of Bioshock games.

Even for someone like me, who prefers to run and gun, instead of be stealthy. Sure, there are times it might be easier to be stealthy, but most of the time I come in guns blazing and that works too. I've found a couple of the legendary guns like the Strelak Verso, which is an awesome dual wield automatic pistol that converts into an SMG.

Finding creative and efficient ways to dispatch your enemies is extremely fun, and gets even more fun as you find better upgrades and better weapons.

I really like how the game manages the research. A large part of the game is finding tips and clues (in journals, recordings, on blackboards) that reveal things that give you access to new areas (combinations for locks, or where certain people you need to assassinate will be together in a group and vulnerable), or something you need to do earlier in the day to make something or a location accessible later in the day. I usually hate keeping track of these kind of things, or even having to read or listen to these clues, but the beauty is, you don't have to. The game keeps track of it all for you. When you are presented a list of locations to visit, those location descriptions include anything you've unlocked in your investigations.

The game deserves GameSpot's Game of the Year award. It's nearly a perfect game. The music, the voice acting, the way it draws you into the story. I'm deep enough into it now that I WANT to finish it to find out WTF is going on.

My only complaint is the inventory management. That could have been handled better.

I'd keep a look out for this going on sale again.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Aaand just in time. 50% off until Jan 5th on Steam for the Winter Sale:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252330/DEATHLOOP/