Finished Black Mesa

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Executioner
Life Member

Finished Black Mesa

Post by Executioner »

Man that Interlooper chapter was a real challenge. Once you start getting up to the top, you have to deal with a lot of traps and lasers. Then you deal a lot with Alien Controllers. They are smaller than Nihilanth, but are a pain to get rid of. Alien Grunts, who used to be easy to kill, got an upgrade in this chapter. They will charge you and inflict heavy damage.

The final boss, Nihilanth, was a PITA to kill. I died several times. I think on the 10th try I finally got the sucker. Seems like the rocket launcher was the best weapon for defeating him. NOTE: once you get to where his head splits open, move around and hit the center of his head to finish him off.

This game was completed on the Normal setting. I sure hate to see what the other settings are like: Black Mesa and Hard.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Finished Black Mesa

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I need to get back to it and finish it.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Jeez, so many games, so little time. I really wanna play this.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Congratulations.

I'll eventually play this if I can ever clear my current backlog. I just completed endings A through D and got the true ending in Nier: Automata. After getting the proper end, it may be one of my favorite games of all time.

I started Ghosts of Tsushima a few days ago. It's great. I'll try to pull some screenshots as it's gorgeous.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Did they ever fix the PC port issues with Nier: Automata?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Did they ever fix the PC port issues with Nier: Automata?
Nope. You have to find and install the fan-made patch. I completed it on the PS4.

When and if you play it, make sure you play with the online features turned on. It's essential to get the true ending. Still the way you get it is obscured. Not to spoil it but on the third playthrough, you'll be presented with a choice. Choose and complete the game. Continue from your save, you'll now have access to all chapters in the game. Go to the chapter where you made your choice (it should be last) and make the other choice and complete the game. This time, make sure you pay attention during the credits.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, got back into it today. I have to say I found the Gonarch's Layer chapter very frustrating, and that's where Ieft off a few months ago. After struggling through Ganarch's Layer I needed a break from the game.

HOWEVER, the subsequent Interloper chapter was, while challenging as hell, very enjoyable 3 hours playing that. I loved the physics puzzles. Everything was quite creative but logical. I must say it's a gorgeous re-imagining of Zen. Some really stunning looking levels.

I did have to do it on Normal difficulty, but at least I didn't look at any walkthrus.

Just about at the end of that chapter with one to go.

For anyone that hasn't played the Xen chapters yet, or finding them frustrating, I would set the difficulty on Normal (that's more than challenging) and definitely put aside the time to play them. Some of the maps are absolute works of art. SAVE OFTEN and not just the quick save. Quick saving when you're at 10 health (been there, done that) is no fun.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The trick with Gonarch's (large spider for those that don't play the game), once he runs off, you chase him, but don't waste your ammo on him. I did the first time around, and towards the end, I had no ammo so I restarted the game after he ran off. You will get your chance at the end when he's defeated with a barrage of rockets.

I started a new game already and I just entered XEN.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Finally finished it. MAN that was a hell of a ride. I'm starting over to see if they polished the early game since I finished that off a long time ago.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah they did change parts of the early game. I'm currently on the "blackmesa" difficulty setting. I haven't noticed any difference but I'm sure it will come as I progress through the game.