Deep Rock Galactic Review - on sale 25% off. Coop gameplay

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Deep Rock Galactic Review - on sale 25% off. Coop gameplay

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have a couple of friends who are enjoying this game, and they're both L4D2 and Killing Floor 2 fans as well. It's been on my wish list and when I finish a couple of games I'm working on I'm going to buy it. I'm ready for a new coop shooter.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Deep Rock Galactic Review

Post by FlyingPenguin »

25% off until July 9th. I'm going to pull the trigger.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5484 ... _Galactic/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Deep Rock Galactic Review - on sale 25% off. Coop gameplay

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You CAN play solo with a robot helping you, which is what I'm doing for now to learn the ropes before trying to play online. You still gain XP, achievements, etc in solo.

Fun game, scary at times. Everything is deformable so if you see some mineral up on a high cliff, you can use your pick to chop some stairs into the cliff to get up there.

Fun so far. Looking forward to online play, but I want to practice so I don't look a noob.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, played a LOT yesterday. After mostly playing solo for 5 or 6 missions, I played some coop multiplayer with randos. Coop games are a lot more fun, and you make a heck of a lot more XP and mine more craftable resources, but it's also more challenging.

My first coop game I got separated from the group when the recall was triggered. Normally you want to me near the "Mule" (a robot mule that lugs the resources you've mined) when the recall starts because the Mule knows the way back to the ship, and plants little lighted flags with arrows to guide you back. But I was nowhere near them when they triggered the recall, and then I got attacked by a mob. Some guy came back for me, but they got us both. You still gain XP if you die but you lose your share of gathered resources.

After that I was careful to stay near the Mule when we've completed the mission. There's lot's of variety in the maps. They are randomly generated and take place in a variety of environments with various dangers and pitfalls. There's also a variety of mission types: straight out mining missons, equipment recovery missions, "kill the giant alien queen bug" type missions, recover rare items, and more, so it makes for a lot of variety. There was one coop mission I went on where our ship was disabled, and we needed to repair it with equipment drops while holding off waves of alien monsters.

The game has an RPG element. As you gather craftable resources, and money, and XP, you can pay for weapon mods and upgrades.

There are four classes (scout, engineer, gunner, driller), but you aren't forced into a class. There can be more than one of a class playing. So far I've stuck to gunner which is the easiest.

Here's a video of a moderately easy solo game I played. My first time with the lightning crystals so I had no idea they could kill me. Fortunately the bot can revive me twice.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here's a short coop multiplayer mission I did tonight. Audio is a little out of sync for some reason.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

My son told me about this game last week. Looks interesting. I would be only interested in solo game play.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I will tell you the game is s lot more exciting multiplayer, but single is better to grind achievements. So far coop players have been great and zero toxicity.

If you get it, I'd be happy to play private friends coop with you.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Looking at the demo, it reminds me of Left for Dead.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah there's definitely a L4D2 vibe. A lot of Deep Rock players are Left for Dead players looking for something new.